Courgettes Sound Much Nicer



zucchini


morezukes
Zukes and more Zukes. 
Photos via

In the five or so years I've lived in Illinois, one thing I haven't quite acclimated to is zucchini. Come August, tons and tons of this summer squash flood my local market's stands. Since there's such an abundance of the vegetable, they come pretty cheap. Naturally, I would stock up on yellow and green kinds, daydreaming about experimenting with them.

Alas, I had but little success. I baked zucchini. I stir fried it. I coated it with breadcrumbs and panko and fried it. I used it as stuffing. But nothing tasted delicious to me. Zucchini was just bland and watery and blah

A few weeks back, I become really determined to make zucchini work for me. Bacon, I thought, Bacon makes everything taste better. And Cheese. Cheese, glorious cheese. With these two saliva-inducing ingredients in mind, I set out to make a quick and healthy breakfast/ snack. 

Thus, this baby was born:


SDC17557
Courgette, Bacon, Cheddar Muffin

*Recipe adapted from this

(12 muffins)
Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- .25 cup butter, melted
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup cheese: I used cheddar and parmesan blend. But goat cheese also sounds nice.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease/ butter a muffin tin. Or line with muffin with muffin papers.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix butter, egg, milk, zucchini together in another bowl. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in cheese and bacon.
4. Pour the batter into muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Let cool before serving.  

One last step to make this concoction absolutely delicious. Stop calling zucchini zucchini. They're courgettes. Courgettes just sound much nicer.

What are your favorite Courgette recipes?

25 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to give courgette loafs a whirl but haven't ever got around to it. Always looks so tasty though x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always a big fan of zuccini in pasta...but I have, of course, never actually tried to make it myself...because I am lazy.

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, Illinois food scares me, and I live here. Zucchini is one of those foods. Plus, it makes me burp.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE zukes. good lookin' recipe. i wish i was swimming in zukes like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy, I love cheese and bacon, so you are right that they make everything nice! :)

    I can see you are enjoying your free time, how's the job hunt thus far?


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag
    Join My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lara, thanks for your comment at my blog. I agree with you that bacon and cheese goes nice with zucchini. I like it with tomato in pasta and making it into vegetable pie. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOLY SH*TBALLS there's cheese and bacon in that little COUGRETTE!!! i want. seriously i want it now. omg i want!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Courgettes' sont tres tres Francais!.....Sounding. Or something. Yeah. I would like ten of these!

    How did you go about inventing this new recipe? I'm hesitant to bake experiment because it's still partial chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your muffins look delicious. I like to make fitters and pancakes with mine. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've taken some time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks Fabulous! Thanks so much for the recipe! This is something I will definitely try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, that looks good! I like my zukes fried and dipped in ranch, but then again, I like almost anything fried and/or dipped in ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I first moved to England and started waitressing in a little village I had no idea that the fancy sounding courgette, aubergine and mange tout were just zucchini, eggplant, and snow peas... I agree that it sounds much better... And bacon and cheese can save anything! (What about chocolate courgette bread?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, great idea! Yes, bacon and cheese - perfect. The muffins look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo zucchini squash! My fave. I love that thing sliced thinly into pasta. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cook my zucchini in Japanese style kinpira, there is recipe for kinpira in just Bento, you can use any kind of veggie in this recipe that can be cut julienne. Works great for carrots, broccoli stalk, green string beans, pumbkin etc.

    A nice and easy salad for summer is boiled zucchini, you cut them in rolls after boiling them a bit, and season with salt, lemon juice and olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love this! i'm totally going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh good heavens! that looks delicious! thanks for making my mouth water :D im gonna have to give this a try...mmmmmmmmm yummy :)

    xo
    A_riot
    www.thickthreads.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. These sound amazing. I love zucchini/courgette's. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks soo delicious, I cannot wait to try it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. holy moly. this recipe sounds soooo good. thanks for sharing, laura! :)

    courgette does sound much nicer. i hadn't heard that term before.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Laura, I'm speechless. Damn, that looks good! It's funny you mention courgette, because up until the other day I was calling it zuchinni! I guess the Significant Other's way of saying courgette rubbed off on me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL I love courgettes!! That muffin looks seriously yummy! i havent really tried savoury muffins before..

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have two zucchinis on my counter I believe. Might just have to give this a try!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh that muffin looks heavenly!
    I'm sure you've tried this too, but roasting some squash (cut length-wise, thinly) and doing a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and some parmesan- yummehh!
    xoxo,
    Lar

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥