All About the Hurr


SDC19117

SDC19124

SDC19113
top: Walmart? maybe? :: denim: Old Navy skinnies: wedges: Charlotte Russe::
leopard scarf: DIY




I thought I'd take today's post as a proper opportunity to share some hair tips with you as I've been getting quite a few comments and questions about my hair. So without further ado, I present to you:

LAURA'S 10 TIPS for HEALTHY, SHINY HAIR!
*I am not a hair expert. These tips work for my kind of hair. They may not work for yours. 

1. Don't wash your hair everyday. When you shampoo your hair, you strip off all the oils that your scalp generates. You actually need some natural oils to nourish your hair. So, don't shampoo everyday. If you need to wash your hair because you feel icky, just rinse it with warm water and don't forget to condition. I shampoo every other day, and I have ridiculously thick hair. 

2. Condition, condition, condition. That said, the correct way of applying conditioner is as follows: Squeeze conditioner onto palm. For my length and thickness, I usually use about 2 quarter-sized squeezes. Don't put too much or else you'll have really oily hair. With your other hand, make a ponytail with your hair and apply the conditioner on the lower half of the tail. Work your way UP taking whatever excess conditioner from the bottom of your hair. You should have next to nothing when you reach the top part of your head. The oil that you scalp generates should be enough to condition the hair close to your scalp.

3. Don't brush wet hair, comb it with a wide-tooth comb. When your hair is wet, your hair is more prone to stretching and breaking. Use a wide-tooth comb to untangle you hair, and don't comb it more than needed to release those tangles.

4. Protect your hair from the elements. I use a leave-in conditioner or spray to keep my hair shiny and the color vibrant.

5. Use hot tools minimally. I very rarely use a hairdryer, hot iron, or curling rod. I make time to wake up an hour or two earlier than I need to so I can have enough time to let my hair air dry. If I really have to use a hairdryer, I wait until my hair is 80-90% dry (healthy hair should air  dry in less than an hour, depending on the length) and then use the hairdryer. I refrain from using a brush to style my hair until it is completely dry, and I always use a heat protectant. For straighteners or curling irons, I try to use them on day old hair.

6. Drink lots of water. I'm not sure this helps, but I've noticed that when I'm properly hydrated, my hair looks much shinier and healthier. I also need to go to the bathroom more, but that's not hair related.

7. You don't need to comb your hair 100 times a day. I used to think that this was necessary. But really, the less you bother your hair, the healthier it gets. Combing, especially when you're combing from scalp to tip, releases and distributes more oils, leaving your hair feeling dirtier quicker.

8. Expensive doesn't necessarily mean Quality. Every once in a while, I like to splurge on hair products like on a good deep conditioning treatment or volumizing spray. But, the basics, such as shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner shouldn't break your wallet. (#9 plays into this, too) I've used tons of different types of shampoos/conditioners, and my favorite drugstore brands are some of the cheapest: Garnier Fructis, Herbal Essences, Dove, and Suave.

9. Rotate. I like to switch the shampoo and conditioner I use after I go through the whole bottle. After a while, I think my hair acclimates to them, so they become less effective. This is how I get to try different products from different price ranges.

10. Have fun. I like to experiment with the color, cut, and style of my hair. In doing so, I've damaged my hair a lot. But I learn from my mistakes and do better the next time! The REAL lesson is that hair grows and can be nurtured back to health!

What are your secret hair tips?

53 comments:

  1. i love the pattern combo here.. subtle yet really great. i have no hair tips really.. haha. i do shampoo everyday :/ but i almost always air dry.. i use heat protectant spray when i do use blow dryers and flat irons. the only real problem i have with my hair is that it's really thin, and no product really works to grow hair :( i'm jealous of yours though!

    xo, jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Switching shampoo and conditioner is a great tip. We do that too, and it definitely makes a difference. Also, love the your leopard and plaid mix. Leopard goes with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely outfit! :) and I totally agree with your tips, your routine sounds much like mine ;) have a lovely day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great hair tips, Laura! I love deep conditioning my hair :)

    Your plaid jacket is uber cute and you look so snug <3

    xoxo,
    daisy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you regarding point one. I too have found some of the better products to be the cheaper ones. Back in the UK one of the higher ended brands just left my hair so so greasy after washing it. Great tips though

    ReplyDelete
  6. My problem is the constant use of a hair straightener...it really does a number on my hair!

    xoxo ~ Courtey
    http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look adorable! For me, since I have crazy oily hair, I use a deep cleansing shampoo every other wash, and can NEVER use conditioner. It works pretty well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your buffalo tunic laura! so cute on you!!!

    thanks for your hair tips.. i swear your hair has been so freakin' badass lately if you hadn't talked about what you were doing lately yourself.. i was going to force you to tell us ahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fabulous tips, tips I ignore a little too often. I have fine, thin hair that I'm keeping very long at the moment and it gets oily and tangled extremely easily. I'm guilty of washing it , blow drying it, and brushing it a little too often. I'm such a brute with my hair. You have beautiful hair, I wish mine was thick like yours and I totally agree with you about rotating your products. Oh, I wanted to tell you that I tagged you in a Christmas list post as well. I love the red and black plaid shirt.

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great hair tips! I'm always looking for ways to help my hair look and feel healthier as I think I missed hair day in girl school when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, I always use the same products, maybe I should switch it up and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All good tips! Though I like to think my hair looks pretty nice, I know I beat the crud out of it and don't recommend people are as mean to their hair as I am to mine (sorry hair, I love you!) lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wash my hair every other day, and use dry shampoo on the off days. I take a biotin supplement and fish oil, since those are supposed to be good for your hair and nails.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never wash my hair every day. For me, that is the quickest way to dry it out AND to ruin the color.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been skimping on the conditioner lately b/c havn't had time to go shopping for essentails. I know my life is a mess right now so perfect timing for hair tips. I love that plaid top on you my dear, great cheery color for a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! I too switch products and never wash my hair everyday!

    Cute outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great haircare tips, your hair does indeed look lovely and shiny! I agree that it's not always the most expensive products which are the best! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do absolutely nothing to my sad, frail, lackluster hair. I just wash it (not even with conditioner), dry it, and twist it in a bun. One of my New Year's resolutions is to get my hair routine fixed, dammit! Thanks for the tips though - they seem very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful tips.
    Thank you so much for your visit and comment.
    Do keep in touch.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you layered the outfit <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the leopard and plaid! I also have thick hair. What leave-in conditioner do you use? I have naturally curly hair (I flat iron it)and I think it would benefit from a leave-in conditioner. - Dreama

    ReplyDelete
  22. so pretty dear!! like this outfit like all your outfit too.
    Love
    Valentina

    ReplyDelete
  23. Buffalo plaid! Yes!

    My hair routine is really simple. And I'm not sure if I'd call them secret tips, hehe. I try and drink plenty of water, rotate my shampoo and only comb it once a day. A few times a week I will use a little bit of conditioner on my ends. That's about it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ca-uuuutttteee, girl.

    ps: super lovely blog! so cute. ;)

    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great hair tips! I try to do a deep conditioning once a week. I put conditioner on my hair and put on a shower cap then leave it for an hour or so. It helps with split ends.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tips, and ones I should abide too! I am in dire need of a haircut to get rid of my ratty ends :)

    I dont brush my hair that often, but that's just because I am lazy haha.

    Talitha xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for all these awesome hair tips girl! especially with how to apply conditioner and the combing technique. i've never had a comb so i always brush with those big brushes. i need to switch that out immediately ;)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  28. You hair is gorgeous. So shiny and the color is amazing. So rich.

    xo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are lucky to have such Gorgeous hair! I Love your top! You are just too Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love that top Laura! And your hair really is lovely- thanks for sharing your tips!
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I keep wanting to get a pixie/boy cut, but I'm so scared to do it!!! Plus my mother would kill me :P I can relate about having to pee more...I have the smallest bladder, haha!

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. love this classic red flannel shirt. my tips are pretty much the same as yours except #1. i know it's bad to wash everyday, but it's just hard to skip here when it's really hot, but i'm trying to at least skip one day a week. and i usually splurge on products when i have gift cards. otherwise, i'm a drugstore person, too.

    btw...i tried those pumpkin croissants this weekend. i need practice, lol!

    [oomph.]
    What's the next line? Help write the story!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love how you paired the plaid with the leopard scarf. So pretty.

    I wish I could skip a day or so between washing my hair. My hair gets so oily if I don't wash it every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Top tips!!! Thank you lady ;-)

    Pop by to say hello if you have the time - is lovely to find you here! x x x

    www.poppyloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW these are some great hairtips however if I don't wash my hair everyday I get what is called "weird scalp smell." Yup I said it and I hate myself the next day because I can smell my scalp and thing everyone else can too. I've used the same shampoo and conditioner from Redken the smoothdown line for about 8 years now and if they discontinue that line I may jump out of my condo and make it to 10pm news.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes to all of these! I do hair masques weekly (I did a whole series of natural ones on the blog once). and regular trims! or the split ends will spread. I can't wait for my skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You look adorable, Laura! =D I love that top. I've been looking for a good plaid top, but I haven't found any that have jumped out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I use Garnier on my hair! Red plaid is my favorite and I love that you mixed it with leopard. I'll remember that for if I ever find my red plaid shirt... so many things have become temporarily (I hope) lost in the move.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for the hair tips!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. cute flannel shirt, I like the scarf with it. Thank you for sharing your shiny hair tips. Now I know why my hair is not shiny, haha...I don't spend much time thinking about it.

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great tips! :) I hardly brush my hair LOL I have really unhealthy hair because I do use an iron a lot, but I have an uncanny mess of a head. I had no idea that healthy hair should dry in an hour :p I always air dry my hair but it seems to take longer than that ;p

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great tips! I've started not washing my hair daily in the last couple months. It's a challenge because I feel so icky, but it makes showering a lot quicker, which is nice. I've also done crazy things to my hair, but it seems pretty resilient. Lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ooo! I like the jaunty combo of the checked shirt with the animal print scarf. Very cute. And your wedges! Adorabz. Great hair tips. My hair is so oily I usually skip conditioner unless my hair really needs it. I also have a Wella product which I run through the ends of my hair to stop them looking so scraggly and strengthen them too as I have long hair :) Great post. I love a bit of hair talk.

    ReplyDelete
  44. these are very good tips! definately gonna try them :D

    ReplyDelete
  45. great hair tips!! I'm always looking for ways to fix my dry blonde hair!

    and those shoes are so cute!

    Olivia :) x
    Wait Until The Sunset

    ReplyDelete
  46. Laura!!! You are my savior! Hahaha! I really needed this and thank you so much for this post! I was just having a very big hairy problem. Eww, doesn't sound right. As I was saying, I just got home from the salon and had hair spa which cost me $$$$ and the result was bad made me wanna go bald.

    I'll keep all of these in mind. Wait, will save this as a favorite. There. XD

    ReplyDelete
  47. Laura, these are great tips! No wonder your hair is always so shiny! I can honestly say my hair always looks healthier when I drink more water. This is also true of my skin. I guess that's why it always looks better in summer when I'm most thirsty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. thanks for the tips! my hair needs a miracle though but these tips are worth trying! :) i love this outfit, you look so cute

    xo
    A_Riot

    ReplyDelete
  49. I only wash my hair a couple times a week. I use a dry shampoo to keep from having to do it more often. I almost never use heat tools on my hair unless it's really cold and my hair is soaking wet. I'm currently on the hunt for organic and eco friendly hair products. If you have any tips, they'd be welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Excellent tips! And when you need a little extra help, pop a vitamin loaded with Biotin. GNC carries a great one called nourish hair. :)
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm loving plaid on you!! I have some plaid tops but I think your red one looks best!

    thanks for the hair tips! Sadly I have to wash my hair everyday but I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love the outfit girl! Chic and sexy!!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥