The Great Pie Adventure


DSC00236
The calm before the pie storm


Be warned: This is an extremely food-photo-heavy post. You may drool.

My husband and I come up with ridiculously-named adventures to occupy our time together. When we went to Chicago over the past weekend, we decided we would undertake The Great Pie Adventure-- similar to The Amazing Panda Adventure but with a lot less panda and poachers and a lot more yumminess.

Alas, due to time constraints, we only made it to two pie places, but they were very good pie places, which makes up for the smallness of the Great Pie Adventure. I really do recommend checking them out if you're in the area.

First stop was Pleasant House Bakery, located in Birdgeport. It's a small and cozy place that seats about 15 or so. Nothing really fancy about its apperance: a simple white exterior, plain wooden walls, even the dinnerware was crisp white. But the food was oh so delicious. We tried three of the royal pies, but I only had a chance to photograph my pie, a Mushroom and Kale pie that was absolute perfection.

DSC00241
Pleasant House Bakery Mushroom and Kale pie
I tell you, this pie tasted as good as it looked. The pastry was flaky and buttery, and the mushroom and kale combination was both hearty and satisfying. We also ordered Deluxe Gravy Chips to eat with our pies (because carbs love more carbs).


DSC00242
Pleasant House Deluxe Gravy Chips
I can't wait to go back and have this exact same pie again. I tell you, I will be dreaming about forkfuls of mushroom and kale for a very long time!

We then paid a visit to the super famous Hoosier Mama Pie Company. Though really small (it only seats about 8) people seem to love their pies a lot! In the space of 40 minutes (the whole time we were there) we saw at least 5 people pick up orders of at least 3 WHOLE pies a piece. AT LEAST! So we decided we had to taste both their savory and their sweet pies. 


DSC00255
An impressive pie display at Hoosier Mama Pie Company
DSC00256
Pork Apple Sage Supper Pie
DSC00257
Broccoli and Cheddar Pie
The savory pies were delicious, but I'm afraid they can't compare to the royal pies as Pleasant House. The sweet pies, however, are phenomenal. My husband had the pecan pie (of which I devoured half) and I had a slice of the banana cream pie.


DSC00258
Banana Cream Pie


If you're ever in the Windy City and in the mood for pie, do stop at Pleasant House and Hoosier Mama. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Do you like pie?

ps. If you're aching for an outfit post, please check out my Disney-themed guest post at Ftashion!

44 comments:

  1. OMG, this is so bad but it looks so good ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay pie! The broccoli cheddar one looks especially yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pie. LOVE. We're having it at our wedding instead of cake ;) That sounds like an awesome way to spend a weekend, btw. I think we should do it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT sounds like a stellar plan! I wish I could retroactively change my wedding cake to wedding pie!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I'm so hungry now!

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE banana cream pie. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm Mmm! I don't love sweet pies (prob the only sweet thing I don't love) but savoury pies and quiches- oh yes! What a fun challenge- you two sound like foodies like my man and I!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally drooling! Everything look so delicious! I will have to get pie soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm Pie.... What was that you were saying? Sorry I was too busy looking at all the food! Oh yes the Windy City, I used to live near there but never ended up going I'll have to adventure out that way one day and get my hands on some pie ;)
    -Ash

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those pictures! The food look really yummy! And those pies! Ahh... Pies are great! Villeroy and Boch

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a really Beautiful picture of you. You look like a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmmmmmm - everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just discovered how much I love pie! Your trip sounded like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i don't even know if we have a place here that sells (savory) pies like this?! i mean, other that chicken pot pies! the pleasant house pies look DELISH! and what are gravy chips?? looks like potatoes?? YUM!! i like your food adventures!

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to go on a pie adventure! They looked so good, especially the banana cream pie yum! :)

    Caroline x
    Caroline's Catwalk

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVED your outfit using Ursula as your inspiration! This looks really good, I've not been to either place...so I'm definitely going to look it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pies look so good! Especially that broccoli cheddar one. Also, those gravy chips look an awful lot like what we call Poutine up here in Canada.. mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, PIIEEEEE!!!!!! They look so goood! And your Ursula outfit is amazing, good job!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow the things look sooo delicious!!!!
    wonderful! if i like pies? what a question, yes of course!
    I followed you by the way, perhaps you find some time to visit my blog too?

    xxx Anita

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man - this sounds and looks like the best adventure EVER :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pork apple sage? You're KILLING me. I'm hungry now and I just had my breakfast. All of those pies sound amazing. Also, I love your scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look stunning. And all of that food is so delicious. I love that pie display.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm definitely a pie person! All those pics are drool-worthy haha. So jealous - haven't had proper pie in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE pie. There is no type of pie that I will not eat. (Except maybe sugar free ones, yuck). That cheddar & broccoli pie looks AMAZING. I've made a few vegetable pot pies before, I might have to pull out the refrigerated crusts this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sugar-free pies must be phased out of this world. Preferably with a laser gun.

      Delete
  24. Yum, yum, yummmmm. Gimme, gimme, gimme! I'd like to know why the world is lacking an adequate amount of pie shops?! I know of two in my area and sadly both of which I haven't gone to, I iz sad about this but hopefully soon. Look at that crust, yummms.

    Oh, btw, I love the scarf you have on.

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks so delicious, yummy :)
    Thank you for visit and lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love pie, but these look a little too sweet to me... My fav since a kid has always been cherry pie :)

    BTW I tagged you, http://gayleswishlist.blogspot.com/2012/03/tag-are-you-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Great Pie Adventure! That is epic, Laura. Seriously such a good idea! That mushroom and kale pie sounds incredible. Maybe I'll try making one... hmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I sooooo want to have my own Great Pie Adventure! This made me very hungry.

    <3 cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore food posts! And this looks delicious!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hate cake! I adore pie! those look fantastic and I feel a road trip coming soon...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm glad to see Hoosier Mama on your pie adventure! I've never been to the actual bakery, but one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants gets pies from there, and they're always AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  32. omgosh can i just tell you i think we're soul mates.. i have this freakish love of savory pies i LOVE LOVE savory pies!! as a last meal i would want a chicken pot pie w/ a side of mashed potatos hahahahha

    your pies look SOOO NOMMY *drool drool drool* seriously drooling over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a good idea! I wish me and my bf did more things like this xD but we're boring :P

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love pies!! They are perfect for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner,, basically anytime! haha! Hey the readers really love your Ursula inspired post, we love it to bits too! Thanx babe!

    Fang Ting
    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh good lord, Laura! Deeeeeliciousnessss! It's funny when I read the post title I was like "ooo I'm going to tell her all about how Brits love their savory pies: meat, cheese, mac and cheese, haggis, etc." But you guys ate even more delicious savory pies than I could imagine! I was expecting fruit pies, but kale and mushroom -- sooo drool worthy! And "Carbs love carbs" YESSS (mac and cheese pie -- my favorite thing -- also contains absolutely none of the things that are on my "diet"). Sometimes I just wish kale was a bit more comforting (going to have to try it in pie form).
    You and your man have the best adventures! I'm going to send this post to Matt for encouragement ;)

    xoxox,
    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  36. PIE - what is not to love! Your hair is amazing in the first photo, I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love pies, can't get enough of them :) these photos made me super hungry :D xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥