Fall Heaven:: Sweet and Salty Pumpkin Scones

DSC02995

These "scones" aren't really by-the-book scones. They're a lot fluffier and full of sweet pumpkin goodness. This recipe accidentally came to be a few weeks back when a friend and I decided to bake some pumpkin custard and we had some leftover pumpkin. Since then, I've made these "scones" thrice because they are just that good. You can make them plain, as in, without the salty element to them, which is the crushed Heath bars, and they would be just as good. Do yourself a favor and eat them just a few minutes after you pull them out of the oven. A pat of butter or clotted cream, and oh em gee, you'll be in Fall heaven. For serious.

DSC03004

Sweet and Salty Pumpkin "Scones" (makes 6)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 c canned pumpkin
1 egg
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
1/3 - 1/2 cup crushed Heath bars, depending on your taste. I love more saltiness, so I put in 1/2 cup.

How To:
1. Preheat your oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, mix in flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Add in the butter using either a pastry cutter or your hands. You want the consistency of the mixture to be like crumbs.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg and mix the pumpkin in with it.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until you form a sticky "dough."
6. Add in your crushed Heath bars. Mix well.
7. Divide the dough into 6. It will be a little sticky, so use a spatula or two spoons to drop 1/6 of the mixture into the parchment paper, leaving an inch between each scone.
8. Bake them for 12-14 minutes. I like to eat them after they've cooled for 5-10 minutes.

DSC03003

24 comments:

  1. These sound and look yummy! I may add these to my Thanksgiving dinner menu for something different. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be making these, seriously! Thank you for sharing this recipe :)

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drooool....I love scones. Triple love them. And then you add pumpkin too?? Delightful! I must try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look absolutely delicious!
    thanks for sharing the recipe

    raspberrykitsch.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man these look so YUMMMMMMMM. Making these when I get back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!!!! Putting these on the to-make list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMm yes please! Substitute egg with flax seed in my case and bing, bang boom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. not a huge fan of pumpkin but these do look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pumpkin scones are one of my fall faves! I totally should have put that on the list in my last blog post, haha. I can't wait to try these. Crushed Heath bar bits, mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me a Heath Bars. Yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love scones and these are perfect for this time of the year. never attempted to make them myself. thanks laura!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lady, you had me at pumpkin. And may I say you are always making the best food? I took one look at this little scone and my knee pain went away! hee hee! I love scones. Add a cup of coffee and I've died and gone to heaven! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Laura! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heath bars and pumpkin are two of my favorite things - these look amazing! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, fluffy and light scones? I am so making this! I've been searching for a good scone recipe, I'm not a huge fan of those really heavy and dense scones that seem to be everywhere. :P I agree with you, I like my treats salty and sweet, this looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks yummy!
    feels like want to try some :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. You totes had me at "Heath bars". Seriously, that was a stroke of genius. Now, all I have to do is find me some heath bars, cuz the English are ANIMALS and live life without them some how. (Just kidding. The english aren't animals. I just never thought I'd live somewhere that didn't sell heath bars. The world seems like a slightly darker place now.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gracious, Laura! Even though I'm surrounded by scones on a fairly regular basis here (tough life I know!), these look stand-out amazing! I wonder if they would work with gluten-free flower (damn allergies!). Nom nom NOM!
    xoxox,
    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - these look so so amazing and delicious!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  19. These scones look scrumptious! I wish i could reach through the computer screen and snatch one up haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look amazing! I can almost smell the goodness! Thanks so much for the recipe!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  21. they look so so good!
    you are amazing, Laura. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. this sounds amazing! I really love pumpkin and in desserts and such lol

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥