Macarons

DSC04692
I love macarons. Pure and simple. I love meringue in all its colors, flavors, and filling options. I love their prettiness and how they look like a lot of trouble to make. They make for perfect presents and delicious treats. And... they're not too hard to make. Honestly. It takes just a little bit of practice and the right ingredients. This is a pretty comprehensive and picture-heavy post, but it includes all I know about making homemade macarons. So, read on and get ready to make a batch of these nommilicious treats. 

The basic ingredients are: 
DSC04667
1. Almond Flour- You can get this in any well-supplied grocery store. Or, if you prefer to make your own, you can put skinned almonds in a food processor and work until you have a very fine consistency. 
2. Confectioner's Sugar- make sure to sift or process the sugar to get rid of lumps. 
3. Aged Eggs. In my experience, "older" eggs make for better macarons. I use eggs that have been sitting in my fridge for at least 3 days and then leave them out at room temperature overnight before baking. 
4. Granulated Sugar- free of lumps, of course.
5. Flavors and Colors- Use any flavor combinations you like. I prefer to use extracts for flavoring because they don't add a lot of moisture to the batter (if flavoring the cookie part). As for color, if you want a more intense color, I recommend using gel food coloring. You can also use regular food coloring, but the colors won't be as intense. 

On Equipment:
1. Ovens- Each oven is different, so you may need to experiment before you get the temperatures that work for your particular oven. 
2. Cookie Sheets- Use sturdy and thick cookie sheets. Cheap, flimsy ones will burn your macarons. 
3. Piping bag and tips- I like to use a round tip to pipe the batter. I've used the tip of a Ziploc bag before, too. And though that takes a little bit more adeptness in control, it's totally doable. 4. Macaron Sheets- I think, are completely unnecessary. Instead, draw out circles (no more than 1 inch) on parchment paper, turn that drawn side over,  and use them as your pattern. 
DSC04671

Let's Begin!
To make 20 macarons, you will need:
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops of food coloring

For the Buttercream Frosting, you will need:
- 1.5 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 stick of butter in room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons of milk or heavy cream
- food coloring of your choice *optional

DSC04674
1.Beat your aged eggs with a mixer until foamy. Then add the granulated sugar. Beat until you have stiff peaks, about 5-8 minutes.
2. In another bowl, combine the almond flour and confectioner's sugar.
3. Fold the almond flour mixture to the egg whites in 2-3 batches until well combined. Add in the almond extract and food coloring and mix. It shouldn't take more than 50 spatula strokes.
DSC04678DSC04679

4. Pipe the batter, following the circles you've drawn onto the parchment. Then, (here's the hard part) WAIT. I find that waiting 30 minutes, until a "skin" forms on the tops makes for sturdier macarons.
DSC04681DSC04682DSC04683

5.At this point, you can go on and make the Buttercream filling and preheat your oven to 325F. For the buttercream: In a bowl, cream the butter with a mixer and then add the sugar one cup at a time until well-combined. Add in the vanilla and a Tablespoon of milk. Blend until smooth.

6. Once ready, bake the macarons in the oven for 12-13 minutes.
7. Let the macarons sit in the sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
DSC04684
8. Once cooled, spread the buttercream onto the inside of one macaron, then top with another. Don't press too hard! They can be delicate.
DSC04686DSC04688
9. WAIT. Don't pop that in your mouth just yet. It'll taste so much better if you let it sit in an airtight container for a few hours. Or better yet, overnight. I promise-- once you give the flavors time to meld, NOM NOM NOM.
Et Voila-- Macarons! 

21 comments:

  1. These look super tasty and I wish I had one to eat right this second! I love how comprehensive this tutorial is. You make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try these but everyone says they are SO hard so I'm always intimidated. You make it look so easy though, thank you for the step by step! I'll have to try these sometime ;)

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome looking! I have never made a macaroon before, not much for almond flavors. I think Matt would like these, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recipe! I have been wanting to attempt to make my macaroons for so long! Thanks for inspiring me to do so! :)

    callmemaddie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try this, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cardinal sin over here - I have never had a macaroon! I'm not joking. I know it's shocking. But they just look so delicious I really need to remedy this problem ASAP. I may even try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nommy nom noms! Ya know, I have never had a macaron before! I always figured they'd be really hard to make but this recipe looks like something I could do. They turned out really perfect Laura, I love the pink buttercream in the middle.

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I am trying this. I need a spare weekend! Maybe this one. And almond flour, I need almond flour. Have you tried making your own flour? Is it any different from the store bought stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I have been hoping to find a super easy Macaron recipe! I want to make it with Nutella butter cream (here's what I found: http://www.kitchentreaty.com/fluffy-nutella-buttercream-frosting/)! OMG that sounds so good right now!

    That you so much for this doable recipe. You've given me hope. LOL

    xo,
    janmloves.blogspot.com
    I'm having a giveaway on my blog if you're interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh la la!! You should sell these in your shop too! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I AM DOING THIS!! Almond flour! I need to look for that though.
    They look so YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you did a great job! i love macarons!!! love the pretty color center.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. they look amazing Laura! Don't think I could ever make them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you did them perfectly, L! i can't even imagine trying to make these...my baking skills are the worst! delish!!

    rockoomph.blogspot.com
    mobilemorsels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wanting to make macarons for the longest time but have been a little scared to give it a try after hearing that they are very hard to make. Thank you so much for sharing this post. I will be using the macaron cookbook I got at Christmas very soon.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never made macaroons, but I probably should buy it because buying them can be expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial. I am planning on practicing my macaron-making skills very soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG those look so delicious! They actually seem easier to make than what I would have thought! I am definitely bookmaking this.
    :)
    Allison

    A's Fashion Files
    Shop Kawaii Kitsch by A on Etsy, and get free domestic shipping with code FREESHIP

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, your GIF at the end is so stinkin' sweet. I loved the post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always thought Macarons would be too tricky to make but I think I might have to give these a go! I love Macarons and these ones look delicious :)

    Caroline x
    Caroline's Catwalk

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really need to stop reading blogs before breakfast. Now I'm tossing up the idea of nixing my usual cereal in favour of macarons. GOD these look heavenly. Even the cookie part looks phenomenal before cooking, all these glistening perfect circles. And then you go and add a beautiful rose-coloured frosting? MUST MAKE THESES

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥