To make 20 macarons, you will need:
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops of food coloring
For the Buttercream Frosting, you will need:
- 1.5 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 stick of butter in room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons of milk or heavy cream
- food coloring of your choice *optional
2. In another bowl, combine the almond flour and confectioner's sugar.
3. Fold the almond flour mixture to the egg whites in 2-3 batches until well combined. Add in the almond extract and food coloring and mix. It shouldn't take more than 50 spatula strokes.
4. Pipe the batter, following the circles you've drawn onto the parchment. Then, (here's the hard part) WAIT. I find that waiting 30 minutes, until a "skin" forms on the tops makes for sturdier macarons.
5.At this point, you can go on and make the Buttercream filling and preheat your oven to 325F. For the buttercream: In a bowl, cream the butter with a mixer and then add the sugar one cup at a time until well-combined. Add in the vanilla and a Tablespoon of milk. Blend until smooth.
6. Once ready, bake the macarons in the oven for 12-13 minutes.
7. Let the macarons sit in the sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.