One bowl coconut macaroons

Lately, I've been having mad cravings for coconut, so today I finally gave in to the temptation and whipped up some macaroons. Ideally, I would have baked English macaroons that call for desiccated, unsweetened coconut, cream of tartar and some flour. But I wanted something quick and sweet, so I used an easier recipe instead. It's quick, no-nonsense, and totally satisfies my coconut craving. My husband isn't a huge fan of coconut, so I'm happy to have all of these to myself!
Ingredient-wise, this recipe calls for only 6. Yeah, SIX. Many will say that the chocolate is optional. Don't listen to them. The chocolate is integral to this kind of macaroon. And don't just drizzle it on top like a pansy, you have to make a chocolate base by dipping the macaroon into melted chocolate. It's the only way. 

Easy One Bowl Coconut Macaroons - Makes 9 macaroons
Ingredients:
2/3 cup condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
a pinch of salt
4 cups of sweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips - optional

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I highly recommend using parchment paper over aluminium foil. Much less hassle.
2.  In a large bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, and egg white. Mix well.
3.  Add in the salt and the coconut. Mix until well combined.
4.  Using your hands, take about 2 tablespoons of the coconut mixture and roll it into a ball. Place onto the baking sheet, making sure to leave at least an inch around each ball. Finish rolling the mixture into balls. You will have very sticky hands.
5. Bake the macaroons for 18-20 minutes, until the tops are toasted and brown. Cool completely before dipping in chocolate.
6. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave (20-30 seconds should do it), or do it old school in the double boiler like moi. Coat the bottoms of each macaroon onto the chocolate. Let the chocolate set, then serve. 

27 comments:

  1. Oh my these look so good! Gotta love a Macaroon English or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be making these, they look wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW. A treat that I can eat (I'm allergic to wheat!). I will try these for sure :3
    xo, Lara
    http://laralizard.blogspot.fi/

    (Followed you :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummm...looks so delicious and so pretty like a flower!

    xoxo Ra

    http://ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good! I wish I liked coconut. It's a texture thing. Weird, I know :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a coconut girl, but these do look good! I think I just need to try making some macaroons period. I haven't yet and I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, that look so yummy. I love it. Have a great day.

    http://www.fashiondenis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I've had a coconut craving, too! These sound incredible. Might have to make them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, my mom would kiss you for this. She lives coconut and she loves macaroons! I think I'll try and make these for her. I don't like coconut, so she can indulge in all of them. Yours looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMMMM I love coconut too! Must make these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, these look absolutely scrumptious! Adore :)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is this what your funny tweets were about? I love these, but they're so dense I can never eat too many of them.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWESOME love this post very much, I'm a huge coconut fan ^^

    May make it ^^


    Emi x
    http://emi-doll.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love how you say "whipped" up...and i know that with your kitchen skills, you really did whip them up. they look so pretty, too!!

    rockoomph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this because you know the difference between a macaroon and a macaron, which majority of The Blogging World, aka Pinterest, gets wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. woah, I love it! I honestly prefer these over french macarons, because french macarons come off too sweet. They're still good, though!

    daisysuns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm. these look so good. I am a huge coconut lover, and an even bigger chocolate lover.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the recipe Laura - these looks so easy and tasty!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look great! I never knew these were so easy to make. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dang, I'm ashamed to say, I doubted this would be something I'd want to do. Then I saw the bottom picture. You got me Laura. You.Got.Me. Sorry, my lovely diet - I think we need to take a tiny break, see other people, and find out how we really feel about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look amazing Laura! I'm with the noter above :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't believe how delicious this looks. Simply perfect!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  23. you had me at coconut. dang. this. looks. delicious.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. "And don't just drizzle it on top like a pansy" Haha! I love the humor you inject into your posts :)

    We are big coconut macaroon fans. I was going to make oatmeal cookies later on in the week, but after seeing this post I might put those on hold... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the recipe, I've been looking all over the internet for a recipe that was close to the coconut macaroons my grandmother used to make. Yours has been almost spot-on!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥