Overnight Oats

As much as I love a hot breakfast, sometimes I simply don't have the time or motivation to boil an egg or fry up some bacon. That's why I LOVE overnight oats. If I know I'm going to have a busy day, I prepare a couple servings the night before, so in the morning all I have to do is scoop and top, then voila! breakfast is ready.

There are lots of ways to prepare overnight oats, and my favorite (so far) has been this recipe for chocolate oatmeal. Chocolate is a great way to start one's day.
Chocolate Overnight Oats- makes 1-2 servings 
Ingredients
1 cup uncooked oatmeal- I have used both quick oats and steel cut oats, and both work fine
1 cup coconut milk- I use So Delicious coconut milk, vanilla. You can use plain milk, but you might need to add some honey or sugar. 
1-2 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder- I use Ghirardelli baking cocoa
2-3 Tablespoons flax seed, chia seed- I use this just to vary the texture a bit. Totally optional. 
1 mashed banana
* whatever toppings your heart desires. I like using fresh berries, dried coconut, almonds, pine nuts, etc.

Directions
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the toppings until well combined. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
To serve, scoop a hefty serving in a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. 
I like to make double the recipe and keep it in the fridge for when I know I'm going to have a busy week. I would have the same chocolate base and then vary the toppings so I won't get bored. Hope you give this recipe a go! 

19 comments:

  1. So...it's cold? T_T I don't know. I think I'm too used to hot oatmeal! I've seen slow cooker overnight oatmeal recipes but I feel like it has to stick and get all horrible. I've never tried one though, so I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing. I have never thought about cold oatmeal. I mean I know there are oatmeal cereals, but I have never considered eating the mushy kind cold. That's usually when I throw it away is when it has cooled off, lol.

      Delete
    2. I actually didn't care much for oatmeal until I started making it cold. When it's cold I think it's a better palate for toppings and flavors. :) I never tried slow cooker oatmeal! I need to search for good recipes for those!

      Delete
  2. You are right, chocolate is a great way to start your day! I would definitely try this minus the coconut. I love the flavor but the texture freaks me out, ha ha! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, chocolate oats? i'm definitely writing this recipe down! hahahaha i've never had them.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, it made my day!
    Need to try this!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate is indeed an ideal breakfast. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...I love cold oatmeal cups. I do mine a bit different, but yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, that looks so tasty and I love your toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmm! I love chocolate cream of wheat so I'm sure I'd love chocolate oatmeal. Going to have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'd try it, but i'm a weirdo about textures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been meaning to try overnight oats, but never thought of adding chocolate to the mix! Laura, you certainly do curate the blog of worldly delights :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolate for breakfast? I'm in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really good Laura! Oats are delicious and good for you! I also love coconut so much! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard that these are so good! Unfortunately they always upset my stomach and I'm mystified as to why... instant oatmeal never does, but the good stuff is a no-go? Makes no sense!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hold up. no cooking involved?! I'm sold!
    gonna try this and get me some steel cut oats and chia seeds...I just read about chia seed pudding...another no cook treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so yummy!! No cooking too, even better xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks amazing, I may have to try this out myself ;) xo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm DEFINITELY going to give this a go. Have you seen this list of suggested toppings for oatmeal? Between the two posts I'm craving oatmeal now!

    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/quick-easy/oatmeal-recipe-00100000099427/index.html#1

    I have to say I really like the idea of adding unsweetened cocoa powder.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥