Celebrations and Festivities

 thrifted cherry skirt:: tank- present :: thrifted red cardigan:: urban outfitters flatforms

Sorry to be MIA here, but I've been busy celebrating my husband B's successfully defending his thesis! If you follow me on facebook, twittter, or instagram, you'll already know that his defense was scheduled for Wednesday, then one of his committee members totally blanked and "forgot" to attend. I can rant about that, but it would be a waste of time. In any case, B got them to reschedule really quickly for Thursday morning (that was a miracle), and we've been celebrating since he got done. I suspect the celebrations will hold until the weekend, which you may think is overkill, but when you've spent a chunk of your life working towards one goal, a few days of festivities don't even come close to making up for the sleepless nights, the frustration, and all the other crap he's endured for years.

What's next for him? For us? We honestly have no idea. Job hunting is tough work, as many of you know. But job hunting for people with grad degrees is ridiculously insane. I should know. We're keeping our chins up though and forging on. Good vibes and thought are always appreciated, and if you know anyone hiring Biochemists and English majors, let me know  :)

But on to the outfit. I've been wanting to wear this skirt because I've only worn it once before. With the temperatures back to freezing, a maxi is perfect for keeping my legs warm and not having to wear pants. Best argument for a maxi, methinks. This top has been sitting in my closet for a long time (since Christmas, in fact. Which year? I have no idea) My mom sent it to me as a present, and it's too short for me to wear untucked, but I do love the ruffly bits in the front too much to give it away.  At first I thought wearing the texture and the print would be too much, but it turns out, it gives the look more depth, if that makes any sense. And now, I have a renewed appreciation for this once neglected top.

I've rambled on! I hope you have a lovely margarita-filled weekend planned. I am sure mine will be :)

28 comments:

  1. Amazingly huge congrats to your husband - I know what a process and accomplishment a doctorate is!!!!! And I adore that skirt, it's so trippy and fun.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your husband, I say celebrate as much as you possibly can! I hope he can find a good job now!

    I love your skirt! Such a fun print!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your husband. That is a great accomplishment! Celebrations are definitely called for throughout the rest of the weekend for you two.

    I really like this outfit. The skirt is awesome! My weekend will not be filled with margaritas but my little friend Captain Morgan :) Have a good one. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray to him!! do continue to celebrate as much as possible...tee hee! love the full skirt. the cute cherry print is a bonus! hope to have a win-filled weekend :)

    rockoomph.blogspot.com
    $500 Mother's Day Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go B! You guys both deserve some celebrating! You you gorgeous in that outfit! Totally want to go out and buy a maxi skirt now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to the Dr.! :D How fabulous. Celebrating should be as long as necessary, I feel. Good luck on the job hunt - I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well gosh I cannot believe he "forgot." At least it's over now! Congrats to him!!
    xo,
    nancy

    http://adoretoadorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic! A massive congrats to your husband, wishing you a joyous weekend and many great vibes! xx/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats again B! Very exciting. Celebrate your tushies off all weekend.

    PS - definitely do not get rid of that tank, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to use the word fantabulous here (not that it's a real world but it feels real enough to me, this morning, to get away with. :D Goodness. What does that say about me today?) and say "well done!" to your hubby. I can only imagine how relieved and accomplished the both of you must feel after completing your degrees. If anything comes up on my radar for ....huh. you know what? You two have such an unlikely pairing of degrees that it's like I'm reading a comic book. All you guys have to do is sprout some super powers and BAM! You're in business. Lovin' the top. For some reason it makes you smolder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, I am so happy for him. I know it was hard work, but it will definitely pay off. Have a great time this weekend ! Love your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am soooo happy for you and your husband for all the hard work done on his thesis. YAAAII!! A whole weekend celebrating sounds very apropriate to me!!! Looking cute btw Laura, I love the ruffles on your shirt :)

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck for B on job hunting! I'm sure he'll get a great job ♥ And, I love your outfit, it's so fun and colorful :) And that second to last photo is so beautiful, you look stunning in it ♥ xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with you on the maxi skirt - great for when the weather starts playing games like that!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to your hubby! That awesome! I hope he finds a job soon! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck on both of your job hunts and congrats to B!

    Also, I am jealous of your brightly colored hair! And that skirt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lawd jesus i do not miss any of that--the defending the thesis and everything. i was dumb enough to do it twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. edit--i don't think anyone is dumb by getting a masters and beyond, i just hated it so much the first time that i can't believe i did it twice. #overanalyzerofmyowncomments

      Delete
  18. Massive congrats to your husband, that is so awesome!! Very well done :)) You look stunning x I'm still over the moon for your hair, ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely skirt ^^ Also, congrats for your husband ;)

    Have a wonderful week,
    allthatglittersnotgold.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Laura, you look gorgeous! Congrats to the Mister and the very best of luck in whatever life brings you next! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful top ! I love the way you mixed colors here !
    http://selenite.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I followed that whole thesis defense fiasco. I can't believe that happened. How incredibly unprofessional! My defense went off without a hitch last year but right after it, my boyfriend broke his arm. >.<

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE that skirt. Super pretty! Congrats! =]

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  24. A great BIG congratulations to your husband! You can count on good vibes and thoughts from me!

    What a lovely, lovely outfit, Laura. That top is definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The thing about catching up on posts by reading them from latest to oldest is you get these reverse teasers. I was wondering what all the congratulations were about! And I will chime in to add my own CONGRATULATIONS to your husband. He ought to be very very proud all his hard work and I hope it leads to a rewarding career! And congratulations to you for supporting him through the process (I've been there!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Memphis has a lot of bio chemical places in town and we need them for our local utilities too if you can bear the heat in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥