Pots de Creme

Out of nowhere, I seem to be craving anything and everything chocolate (and no, I'm not pregnant). I found this recipe for a dairy-free Pots de Creme from Nom Nom Paleo, which is one of my favorites sites to get delicious and unique Paleo recipes from. I was delighted at the prospect of finally getting to enjoy custard without the dairy (I'm lactose intolerant) and was even more thrilled that my picky husband loved them. 

I was a little skeptical about the coconut milk being a suitable substitute for whole milk in the custard, but I actually really love how it tastes. Just remember to use full-fat coconut milk, and your custard will be super creamy. 

I followed the recipe pretty almost word for word, with a few minor changes to utilize what I had in my kitchen. It's actually really easy, just make sure to follow the directions and be patient. 

Pots de Creme 8 servings- adapted from Nom Nom Paleo
Ingredients
1 14 oz can of full-fat coconut milk
2  8 oz bars of dark chocolate (I used 60% cacao from Ghirardelli)
2 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
a pinch of kosher salt
1 cinnamon stick
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
* the original recipe calls for whipped coconut milk cream, but I don't like whipped cream and ate mine plain. For my husband's custard, I just beat heavy cream + sugar until it was thick and creamy.

Directions
1. Chop up the chocolate bars and place in a bowl. Set aside.

2. In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk, egg yolk, ancho powder, cinnamon stick, and salt over medium low heat, whisking constantly until it thickens, about 15 minutes. I basically stood over the stove, stirring, whisking, stirring...

3. When the custard is ready, take it out of the heat. Place a fine mesh strainer over the chocolate bowl, and pour the hot custard into the bowl. The strainer will catch any lumps, ancho powder, and the cinnamon stick. 

4. At this point, DO NOT STIR THE CHOCOLATE + CUSTARD MIXTURE. Leave it be for five minutes. 

5. After 5 minutes, slowly mix the melted chocolate and custard with a spatula. Use very gentle strokes so you don't have clumpy or grainy custard. Add in the vanilla, and mix to combine. After the mixture looks a beautiful even chocolate brown, pour them onto 8 mini containers. I used my teeny tiny bowl collection. 

6. Cover each bowl with plastic wrap and let cool/set in the fridge for at least 4 hours. To serve, top with whipped cream and grated cinnamon. Enjoy!




23 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I have two friends who are actually allergic to dairy (different from lactose intolerant, they actually break out in hives) so I'll have to share this recipe with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds amazing! My question is the chile powder. Isn't that spicy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa Laura! It looks so good! I love it! I guess my post today didn't help you. Thanks for this recipe. So going to try it. :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tiny flower bowls! Perhaps not enough to eat chocolate pudding custard stuff, but close hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so, so tempting right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good! I'm going to try it later! I also like to bake, check out my blog~
    http://lexiluthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is adorable, I love the illustration of you at the top! You are so cute, I followed you immediately haha. Lovely post :)

    iwantyourkittens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy :)


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!!! This is the most dangerous post for my preggo self to see....talk about chocolate cravings. I actually have that exact chocolate on hand, so this I will have to give a whirl. It looks decadent Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so yummy! Want one so bad!

    http://www.carlysscloset.blogspot.com/

    Carly's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings love!!
    Beautiful pictures and it is indeed an amazing post!! :)
    Tell me about my new post inside of a box at;
    http://peaceinmyshoes.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM!! Looks delicious and pretty easy to make. Now I'm hungry! :)

    alyson
    www.theaveragegirlsguide.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm! I do my best to avoid dairy, my stomach is not happy with it! Those flower bowls are super cute, will have to give this recipe a try (with an egg replacer!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow, if desserts wasn't turning me off at the moment (curse you pregnancy!!) I'd probably run to the store to make these tonight....even if it is 10.50pm :) Looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I might actually make these! I love coconut milk :)

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so delicious! Are they coconutty? It's like a spicy Mounds custard! Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious! I love Nom Nom paleo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mm, I bet these are delicious! I will be adding some of these ingredients to my next grocery list :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm, I love the inclusion of cinnamon and ancho chile. It sounds like a dessert version of a hot chocolate I had skating the canal last winter.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥