Strawberry Shortcake

Let me tell you a secret: I don't like raw strawberries. Unless they are super duper sweet or doused in chocolate. It's the truth. But, I do love strawberry shortcake. The first strawberry shortcake I ever tasted was made using those prepackaged hollowed out sponge cakes, filled with cloyingly sweet strawberry mixture and topped with a gigantic dollop of Cool Whip. And I can't ever eat that ever again.

Truth is, homemade biscuits that have just a tad bit of salt go much better with strawberries than cake. Plus whipping your own cream is much more rewarding (and a lot tastier) than a tub of chemicals. And with it being strawberry season, what better way to enjoy nature's bounty by whipping up a batch of this quick dessert?

Strawberry Shortcake- serves 6
Ingredients:
1 lb strawberries, sliced
1/3 c sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/4 c flour & a couple tablespoons extra
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1/2 c buttermilk- If you don't have buttermilk, just add in 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice to the milk and let stand for a few minutes before using.
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp confectioners sugar

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, 1/3 c sugar, and lemon juice. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 425 F.
3. In a bowl, mix the flour 3 tbsp sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Add in the cubed, chilled butter. Using a pastry cutter (or your hands) combine the butter with the dry ingredients until the consistency resembles coarse meal.
4. Add in the buttermilk and mix. Your dough will be sticky.
5. Turn your dough onto a clean, floured surface and knead lightly. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and shape into circles. They don't have to be perfect.
6. Place the circles onto a baking sheet with parchment paper underneath. Make sure they're evenly spaced, at least 1" from each other. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Prepare your whipped cream right before serving. Using a hand mixer, whip the heavy whipping cream until thick and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes) Add in the confectioners sugar one tbsp at a time.
8. To serve: Slice each biscuit in half and spoon a hefty serving of the strawberry mixture onto the bottom half. Top that with the upper half of the biscuit. Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. I love strawberry shortcake! I never thought to do it with biscuits like you did. Definitely gonna give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I do like strawberries on their own, but I love strawberry shortcake too! I haven't made any in quite a long time, I'll have to try this recipe because it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely eat a strawberry raw and in pretty much any other form. I've yet to try a biscuit version, so, of course, this is making me super hungry. I do love a good poundcake version though. Nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I cant believe you dont like raw strawberries! then again its not my fave fruit either!

    this strawberry shortcake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh, I was just feeling all proud of my banana bread, and you post amazing looking strawberry shortcake! Back to the kitchen for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks incredible I'm hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So yummy! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like strawberries. People look at me like I've kicked a puppy when I tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhhhhhhhh that looks so good Laura! i love strawberries plain and with other sweet things. thanks for sharing this.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so yummy! I'm going out to treat myself to a strawberry shortcake too!

    Fang Ting
    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I'm actually not a huge fan of strawberry shortcake, but I do love biscuits and strawberries separately...hahaha. I guess we all have our quirks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum!! I have only tried the gross store sponges, but this looks delish :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks devine, now I just need someone to make them for me :)

    Talitha xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh this seems delisious, I can get the strawberry and fresh cream smell from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo yummy,love!
    xx
    B.
    http://www.beeswonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your strawberry shortcake looks delicious. I have never tried to make strawberry shortcakes before but I will definitely be trying this Summer.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's looks beautiful to eat. I'm allergic to strawberries, but perhaps I will have the shortcake! x:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, this looks delicious! As soon as I buy a new oven I am going to have to try this! (I dnon't know how much longer I can survive with just the stove top and microwave, Lord help me!). I love strawberries but they have to be sprinkled with a little sugar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i imagine the biscuits to work extremely well in a shortcake! looks delish!!

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥