Life Lately 007

Things have been pretty quiet, which is pretty normal for me this time of year. I'm not much for enjoying the outdoors when the heat and humidity are this oppressive, so I stay at home and bask in the cool shade. I'm probably the closest to a real vampire as it gets: hates the sun and sucks the life out of everything (as in, I'm a total killjoy.) Don't mind me, that's just the overheated bitch in me talking. 
I recently found some out-of-date, neglected maps which I turned into envelopes. These went out in a current batch of letters I just sent over the week. The envelopes are pretty easy to make. You just take apart an existing envelope, trace the pattern over the map, cut out, and then fold back and glue into shape. Easy, huh?
  
I'm honestly not much of a memoir/autobiography person, but this book jumped out at me because of the title. (cue tween memories) I'm glad I picked it up because it's a fantastic read. I pretty much finished it in one sitting. Huang's prose is unexpected, captivating, and most importantly, genuine. And though I'm not into hip hop, basketball, and sneakers, a lot of his ideas on food, life, and identity really resonate with me. 

I'm kicking myself for not starting my vegetable garden this year. It's a good thing that this rose bush growing at the side of my house doesn't need much tending at all. If only it also grew tomatoes. 

I'm trying to use up as much of my craft supplies as possible, and I found a roll of cross stitch fabric. So I dug out the Avengers pattern I downloaded for free a few months back and went to work. The finished product is now hanging on my bathroom door.

16 comments:

  1. Love your Avengers craft <3 So cute, wish I could do that :)
    x,
    LaraLizard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to like doing cross-stitch stuff with my mom. I got out of it years ago. Maybe I would have stuck with it if there were adorably geeky ones back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes memoirs are nice to read, especially when you find a lot of things to relate too. I haven't had much time for reading lately, but I think I am going to go do that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maps to envelopes, so smart babe! And the avengers cross stitch is so cute babe!

    Fang Ting
    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like book I'd probably read. I'll have to add that to my reading list.

    Those are fun envelopes. I love writing letters. I've got boxes of letters still from when stamps were only 25 cents. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm currently reading the virgin suicides, which i read every summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the maps made into envelopes idea! And that Avengers cross-stitch is CUTE!
    I hate the heat too, but luckily it's been rainy and cool here so I'm happy haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the maps, so cool :) And the Avengers is sweet!! You should come here to Scotland, it is cool and sunny today, just perfect to get you away from over heating!! Have wonderful week doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand your hatred of the sunshine. I am always so excited for Spring and early Summer, but when July gets here I will be miserable until October. Love the cross stitch :)

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty much the same way, when the weather is very hot and muggy I like to hide in my room with the AC on full blast... haha. LOVE your Avengers crosstitch Laura, it turned out fantastic!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally get it - I do like the sun, but sometimes there is such a thing as too much sun and I long for a cloudy, rainy day! We've just had too many of those here lately!

    I love that you made those maps into envelopes! That is super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use to cross-stitch! I need to revisit that hobby. I always thought it was so much fun. It's going to be a hot summer Laura. Hang in there girl.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, you're so funny! I do love sunshine though! I also adore the maps and it's always fun and clever to just make things yourself that's what I say. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can also use the old maps as wrapping paper :)

    If I planted my veggie garden my dogs would of dug it up...*sigh* I' haven't had homegrown veggies in a long time *shakes fist at dogs*

    I agree, humidity is a bitch and it makes a nice day horrible! But at least it's not freezing where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you turned maps into envelops. That's just awesome. I need to start a vegetable garden after we move, and after winter. I hope you are doing well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your map envelopes are just darling. I think you should sell these through your shop to brides-to-be doing a travel-themed wedding!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥