Laura Sews: Simplicity 1693E

I wore this outfit to my trip to the museum, but I thought I'd talk a little bit more about this self made top. I blogged about sewing using patterns here, but have been slow to make another garment because I still haven't fully unpacked my craft stuff yet. I tried to make some shorts last week, but they ended up being way too big for me, and the material just didn't drape as nicely as I thought it would. I'll spare you the photos this time. 

While perusing shops near our neighborhood last week, I came upon a unique store called The Upcycle Exchange which is pretty much a crafter's paradise. I took home a yard and a half of this adorable colorful moose fabric and set to work making another top. 



For those of you who are curious, I used Simplicity 1693, specifically version E. You can purchase it online here or, if you live close to a fabric store, wait until they go on super sale. I think I got mine for $1. I actually think this is a very simple pattern to start with, if you are interested in sewing your own clothes. For this particular top, I believe there were only 3 pattern pieces. I even skipped the interfacing on the collar because I used a sturdy suede-ish material for it. I'm already looking for fabric to make to the Peter Pan collared blouse (style D), and would love to have a couple of those in my closet!  

15 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see the top in the moose pattern! That is freaking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out really great - I'm jealous of your skills!

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moose fabric is soooo cute. My mom is a big moose fan, she'd love that! I wish I knew how to sew, something to strive for eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun material! I'm headed out this afternoon to pick up the pattern for the Staple Dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric is super cute! Darn I wish I had space for my sewing machine somewhere :D
    x,
    LaraLizard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute!!! Sometimes I wish I didn't hate sewing so much LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done! Looking forward to learing how to sew! xx
    Alice Barton ♥ TheMowWay

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so busy looking at the museum-y things that I missed that you MADE that top. How cute!! I've made a couple of things in my lifetime (mostly with help from my mom) but store-bought patterns don't fit me and I can barely thread my machine let alone alter a pattern. So I just sit on my but and watch Project Runway instead. Much more gratifying, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh hai pretty top... um, I'd buy you. In a different color (pale blue is so bad on me) but yeah, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That print is so cute Laura! I like the black trim and collar you added. Looks great!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty, love the print with the collar. You look great! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blouse turned out so good and I LOOOVVE the adorable fabric. I wish so hard that I knew how to sew, it would be awesome to create your own pieces!

    www.thejoyoffashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. the collar looks great, and the moose fabric is amazing! sewing is an addiction i feed by buying ridiculous amounts of fabric and making glorious sewing plans... and then having ADD and a bunch of UFOs. but you, with the projects and the finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so wickedly clever of you and I'm totally jelz of your skills. When I moved to the UK I ditched my sewing machine (which I'd just begun to fall in love with after letting it sit in storage for way too long). I really miss it now. I just can't bring myself to buy a new one here. (It's complicated.) So awesome Laura. I hope you get the rest of your craft stuff unpacked soon. I love watching what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥