Night at the Museum

Living in a bigger city means lots more entertainment options. B and I decided to check out the City Museum, especially because I'd been recommended it by a few friends. I was pleasantly surprised at the fact that they were open until midnight during the weekends. B gets off work a little later in the day, and it's nice to live near places still open to visit after work. 



The museum is fenced by this gigantic serpentine sculpture. The "outside area"  of the museum is made up of a hodgepodge of metal and  plastic sculptures that people can climb, slide, and play around in. It was way too hot for me to be outside, plus there were too many screaming kids, so I opted to stay inside instead. 


The first floor houses these Labyrinthian caves that you can spend hours exploring. There are tons of narrow passages, small cubby holes, and winding paths to walk through. Climbing around in the dark peppered with the shrill sounds of yelping kids, with the nauseating smell of chlorine and sweat surrounding me, my acrophobia was renewed that day. 



The third floor was a bit more my style and was (not surprisingly) empty. Crammed into this floor were huge blocks of carved stone, old historical windows and building decor. There was also a collection of insects and preserved parts of small animals that I ogled for quite a while. Confession: It is a huge dream of mine to visit the Natural History Museum in London, especially the Darwin center. OMG. Specimens.







It was quite late when we left the museum, and the moon was high in the sky. The City Museum is an interesting concept, but ultimately, not for me. Most areas of the museum felt like playgrounds with too many children and not enough parental supervision. I also didn't appreciate that the inside was sweltering hot, even with the a/c on. I guess I'm more of the "conventional museum" type of person, and I'm eager to go visit some of those soon!

Have you visited the City Museum? What's your fave museum of all time?

14 comments:

  1. It looks like a great place, shame it wasn't as fun as it sounds. I can't stand kids running everywhere & I have two of them. I think unless it's a kids museum or place, they shouldn't be running around wild and crazy, disturbing everyone else's enjoyment. Some parent's sadly use these places as 'babysitter's' instead of teaching their child manners on how to behave at these places and helping them to learn about what they are seeing. It may sound harsh, but I get highly annoyed with kids running around & not being watched, there are also too many weirdos in this world for them to be on their own too. So, I understand. I look forward to other museums you may go to :))) Have a great week doll x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad it wasn't your scene because it looks pretty awesome from the photos...especially those upper floors. It really reminded of the V and A in London.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos look pretty cool, too bad it was hot and full of unsupervised kids. As a parent myself, it is really annoying when parents use these types of places to use as a babysitter. Hopefully your next museum trip will be a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had friends who said the City Museum was really fun, but maybe they went on a day with less kids or something! We might check it out when we visit STL next summer. I promise, I am not going to be one of those parents who lets my child go ape at places like that though, that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty cool! Ugh, parenting nowadays drives me nuts. People need to teach their children how to behave, so that they grow up to be responsible adults. And don't wreak havoc on every single place they go. It gives families a bad reputation overall, I think, and makes people not want to have children, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah you must must visit the Science Museum in London - it's incredible although very very busy too - they had a tropical butterfly garden display when I visited which was absolutely fantastic. I love the Field Museum in Chicago, it's so huge that we really didn't get around everything in a day

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looked so awesome! I love the oversized sculptures, caves & twists & turns. I love the Frisch's Big Boy (I saw the one at the restaurant last Summer when I went to Ohio). Gosh the heat would've done it for me too. You can't enjoy anything when it is that HOT! Thanks for bringing us these pictures Laura. I want to go to the Natural History Museum in London. It's definitely on my to do list!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a cool place, but yeah I hate when parents let their kids run willy-nilly all over the place. Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what I do love about being in the city... being able to visit more places. Too bad about your visit though, but these images look fantastic! I do hope that you can visit museums of London one day, they are some of my favourites to visit! xo/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad the City Museum was a bit of a letdown. One wouldn't guess from just looking at your photos. I would have been turned off by the unruly children/lack of parental supervision, too. Maybe a return visit is in order when school is back in session? :P

    As of right now, my two favorite museums are the Uffizi Gallery in Florence and a small gem closer to home, the Clark Art Institute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would want to play here if you could like rent it out and no kids were allowed. I do love the dungeon-y looking picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting concept for a museum...interactive sounds cool, but maybe not executed well. at least you can check it off your list!

    rockoomph.blogspot.com
    $150 Old Navy Giveaway!
    $150 Target GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like museums that show art pieces and furniture and teacups hundreds of years old :p I don't normally enjoy museums with too much kids in it either... it annoys me :p One of my favorite museums is the Getty in Los Angeles, and the MOMA in NY. Actually, the NY library is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear the museum wasn't quite as you expected, especially with all the screaming children and lack of A/C! Oh well, at least you gave it a try :)

    www.thejoyoffashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥