Billy and Me


Billy Shakes and I go way back. Well, not that far back, but it's partly to him I owe the fact that I switched majors from Chemistry to English during my junior year in undergrad. (The other reason is Milton.) And though the focus of my studies have been on Anglo-Saxon England I have a very soft spot for everything Elizabethan. 

I had been wanting to read Bill Bryson's short but satisfying biography of Shakespeare since it came out in 2007, but never actually got to doing it until now. Picking it up now must have been kismet because the very same day I finished the book, I got the much-anticipated To Be or Not To Be choose your own adventure book by Ryan North in the mail! And yes, it's the same Ryan North who does Dinosaur Comics! You bet your ass I've been a-page-flipping since I tore the package open!

I've been waiting for this book, which I backed on Kickstarter, since Christmastime last year and every minute has been so worth the wait. I've played as Hamlet, Ophelia, and my favorite Hamlet Sr. I swear, he has the BEST storylines. And yes, you can play as the ghost of Hamlet's father! Rad, no? My order came with the prequel Poor Yorick, also in choose your own adventure style AND in folio form. And stickers. Drawn by the amazing Kate Beaton. Just. Plain. Awesome.


You can purchase the paperbacks on Breadpig now and join in on the Hamlet fun! 

♥♥♥
BLOGLOVIN :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: PINTEREST :: INSTAGRAM

13 comments:

  1. Ack - that sounds amazing! Hamlet is my favourite Shakespeare play...we should compare notes sometime!

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bill Bryson's books; I didn't know he'd written a biography of the Bard. If it's as fascinating and side-splitting as his others, sign me up! And those stickers from your choose-your-own-adventure? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, i'm totally clueless to this but this looks like so much fun! :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and Bill (Mr Shakespeare) never got on too well, being British as soon as you start high school you start learning (started with Macbeth) and every year you work through some more (Merchants of Venice, Romeo and Juliet etc etc). I think because they were drumming it in and teaching it to an exam most of the fun went. I don't think many of us actually enjoy it sadly. Bill Bryson on the other hand is great - I read a couple of his America themed books before moving and enjoyed them immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Shakespeare (Adore!). Bill Bryson is pretty okay too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate Beaton! She's Canadian! I love her comics. I'll have to look into these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems awesome, guess I need to buy dat :3
    x,
    LaraLizard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, this is all new to me. You've really piqued my curiosity. What age range would you say these things are for? I've been trying to save my money for something but I might not be able to resist. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the To Be or Not To Be choose your own adventure sounds so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing! I love all CYOA books, but the fact that these are based on something past the 1st-grade level makes them even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fantastic...will have to sort myself out with these :)) Love books xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant! Must get these, thanks for the link as well. This is right up my path! :-) x/Madison

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥