Bits of Home

I've had so many requests for pictures of our new home. Sadly, most of it is still unfurnished because B and I decided to donate all our old furniture in Illinois. But we're slowly acquiring pieces here and there. Last week we actually found a cute desk for my craft room. Hurray! You know what's a bitch to find? vintage shelving! We have been looking for weeks and still nothing! In hopeless desperation, I finally caved in and got two utility shelves from Target, which now hold all my crafting supplies. I'm at least glad that I don't have to dig through boxes anymore!


If you follow me on Instagram, you may have already seen this Totoro bed I made for my cats. The cats have been sleeping all over my clothing and on top of me while I sleep, so I decided that I needed to replace the cat beds we threw out ASAP. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any cute ones within my current budget, so I made one! I'm super proud of how it turned out, you guyz. And I'm actually going to be making a couple more in the next few days for our other kitties. What designs? You'll see!


Our living room has a built-in shelf with a pretty high (and majestic-looking) mantel where B placed his skull collection for display. We actually had one a life-size skeleton replica-- the one you see in anatomy laboratories-- but we donated that too because it was way too heavy and cumbersome to tote around. I'm planning on getting B more skulls for his collection, including animal skulls. Currently, he has a beautiful coyote skull, and I'm hoping to get him something huge like a deer or a sheep.



The most "complete" part of our home is our kitchen. I love this huge window because it lets a lot of natural light in, but also because I can finally display some flowers or grow some herbs. Our previous home had a teeny kitchen area, so I am thrilled to have lots of space to cook and store our food! My favorite decor, so far, are these carafes that I use as vases. Sometimes they hold herbs, sometimes flowers! This week, I found some pretty yellow roses.


Because I have so much space in the kitchen, I can actually have herbs! This week, I found some beautiful mint and have made a plethora of mojitos already. The recipe will be posted soon, so don't worry! I love having mint on hand not only because it tastes delicious in lemonade or in mojitos, but also because it smells amazing. My kitchen smells so clean and invigorating just with this one bunch of mint.


Lastly, I found this pretty vintage tray over the weekend and thought it would be perfect for holding all my oils, vinegars, and cooking wines. I'm one of those people who thinks that everything should be held by something. As a result, I have tons of storage containers, and I use bowls and dishes to hold stuff too.  I like to think that everything has its own personal bubble and shouldn't contaminate other bubbles. It's much less OCD than you would think. I just like having them neatly sequestered. :) 

16 comments:

  1. The kitty beds are so cute! I have been thinking about growing herbs and now you have convinced me to do the mint. I love the way it smells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! The kitty bed is too cute (and so is the kitty).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing bits of your home! I'm planning on taking photos of my new apartment as well but until there are photos on the walls what's the point??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the kitty bed!! And the kitty on the kitty bed too - very cute! I bet my kitties would love something like that. Glad you are settling well into your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it sounds like it's all really coming together - good luck hunting for all your remaining bits of furniture! And I just love the cat bed that you made - so cute.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the skulls! I have a little skull collection too! I think I was a pirate in a past life hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am adoring that cat bed Laura! It is too cute. I bet those would sell like hotcakes in your etsy shop! If I was a pet owner I would buy one. HAHAHAHA I love that tray! It's too cute! I love that you got rid of most of your stuff. It's always good to start anew.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to keep some herbs when we finally get a more permanent place. The thought of fresh basil whenever I want it literally makes me swoon, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm growing basil, soo soooo slowly, on a windowsill. I had a mint plant from the grocery store that lasted me 2 years. The most recent heat wave sort of fried it though. :( It had been doing so well, even through winter, that I'd moved it outside. I feel ya on the "light" moves. We did something similar coming here. Over 2 years later and I'm still finding much needed pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I'm in awe of your cat bed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cat bed is adorable. I wish my kitchen had more natural light. It is so hard taking pictures in there because my kitchen windows are so tiny.

    Tracy @ www.sunnydaystarrynight.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like things are coming along nicely. I think it's fun to get rid of everything and sort of start over. Fresh perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very sweet. Love the cat bed. And the skulls are awesome!! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love how the bed turned out, and nice to see that they like it! i'm the same, have so many containers because i TRY to stay organized and put things away in something!

    [oomph.]
    $150 Old Navy Giveaway!
    $150 Target Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok the cat bed is so cute! your lucky your cat sleeps in it - mine won't sleep in anything pet related. it's got to be under my bed or on my bed! good luck with your vintage furniture hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As you know, I loooove the Totoro cat bed. That was such a good idea, Laura! It looks like your new space is coming along nicely. Good luck as you and B seek out all of the other bits and pieces you still need. Sometimes it just takes awhile until those ''perfect'' pieces are discovered! I love the idea of the carafes as vases (in the kitchen!), too. Fresh mint is the best, isn't it? Also try putting a few sprigs in ice water or plain seltzer water. Soo good :)

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥