If you're reading this and haven't eaten yet, I apologize. Just close your browser and come back after lunch or dinner. Better yet, grab the ingredients below and make yourself some crispy tofu!
Crispy tofu is my favorite tofu dish, but I haven't been able to make it at home until now. Turns out, it's really very easy! I didn't even need a deep fryer.
Crispy Tofu with Sesame Sauce
2 T soy sauce
1 T rice wine/ mirin
1.5 T sesame oil
2 T flour
2 T cornstarch
1 T water
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1 lb of tofu- get firm or extra firm
1/4-1/2 c cornstarch for dredging
vegetable oil for frying- I used 1.5 cups of oil for pan frying.
sesame seeds for garnish
1/4 c water
1/2 c chicken stock
1/8 c white vinegar
1/8 c cornstarch
1 T soy sauce
1 T sesame oil
1/2 t Sriracha
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1. Pat the block of tofu dry with a paper towel and slice into bite sized squares.
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and carefully immerse the tofu into the solution. Make sure the tofu is covered with the mixture and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
3. While your tofu is marinating, heat up all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, making sure to stir well in order to dissolve all the cornstarch. When the mixture starts to thicken, turn the heat to low and leave on the burner until ready to eat.
4. Heat up your vegetable oil in a pan. When ready, gently fry the marinated tofu until golden brown-- about a minute on each side. My oil was deep enough to immerse half the square of tofu, so I only had to flip it once.
5. Drain your tofu over paper towels and then serve with sliced green onions. I like dipping my tofu onto the sesame sauce, but if you prefer you can also douse your tofu with the sauce. Just make sure you eat it right away so you can enjoy its crispiness!
BLOGLOVIN :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: PINTEREST :: INSTAGRAM