Crispy Tofu and Sesame Sauce


If you're reading this and haven't eaten yet, I apologize. Just close your browser and come back after lunch or dinner. Better yet, grab the ingredients below and make yourself some crispy tofu!

Crispy tofu is my favorite tofu dish, but I haven't been able to make it at home until now. Turns out, it's really very easy! I didn't even need a deep fryer. 

Crispy Tofu with Sesame Sauce
Marinade
2 T soy sauce
1 T rice wine/ mirin
1.5 T sesame oil
2 T flour
2 T cornstarch
1 T water
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda

1 lb of tofu- get firm or extra firm
1/4-1/2 c cornstarch for dredging
vegetable oil for frying- I used 1.5 cups of oil for pan frying. 
sesame seeds for garnish

Sauce
1/4 c water
1/2 c chicken stock
1/8 c white vinegar
1/8 c cornstarch
1 T soy sauce
1 T sesame oil
1/2 t Sriracha 
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced

Directions:
1. Pat the block of tofu dry with a paper towel and slice into bite sized squares.
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and carefully immerse the tofu into the solution. Make sure the tofu is covered with the mixture and let it marinate for 30 minutes. 
3. While your tofu is marinating, heat up all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, making sure to stir well in order to dissolve all the cornstarch. When the mixture starts to thicken, turn the heat to low and leave on the burner until ready to eat. 
4. Heat up your vegetable oil in a pan. When ready, gently fry the marinated tofu until golden brown-- about a minute on each side. My oil was deep enough to immerse half the square of tofu, so I only had to flip it once. 
5. Drain your tofu over paper towels and then serve with sliced green onions. I like dipping my tofu onto the sesame sauce, but if you prefer you can also douse your tofu with the sauce. Just make sure you eat it right away so you can enjoy its crispiness!

♥♥♥
BLOGLOVIN :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: PINTEREST :: INSTAGRAM

17 comments:

  1. It looks really good, but I must admit I am scared to try tofu! I don't know why, it just seems so weird to me. What does it taste like? I am not very adventurous with my food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Least I've eaten this time around, but I'd still sit down for this, looks marvellous!! :))) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!! Marky loves this so I'll be making it for sure! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished eating lunch -- LOL! This looks delicious. I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tofu! It's a staple ingredient in our home since my bf is vegan. Though, even before then Tofu was one of my favorite things to eat. My mom would always make fried tofu and rice at least once a week in our home.

    I am now trying to get my son to enjoy tofu as much as I do. I definitely want to give this recipe a go! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am making these!!! I really like tofu but nino hates it... so I am always looking for new recipes for him to try! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy delicious Laura :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks good, laura. it's that yummy sesame oil that does it for me! thanks for the recipe!

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fried tofu is one of my favorite snacks! It's DELISH!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum, crispy tofu is something i always try to make! yours looks so great!


    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a huge tofu fan, but I will eat it on occasion. This post realllyyy makes me want to try it toasted! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Or, crispy/fried. I was thinking of the toasted ravioli in your other post! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. This went straight to my pinterest board after I saw I wouldn't need a deep fryer to achieve this crispy, sauce-dredged goodness. I kid you not I was making a boring tofu stirfry the other day and thinking I really wanted to get my hands on a crispy tofu recipe. Thanks for indulging me with the most perfectly timed post.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥