Filipino Fluke


GAH. Look at all that color! Ever since I dyed my hair black, I've been feeling a little deprived of color. Though I mainly am wearing black in this outfit, I couldn't help but inject bits of hue here and there to make it less dreary. It was actually quite chilly this day, and I needed a thicker jacket and tights! Crazy weather, people. Crazy weather.


bear top: Forever 21 :: mustard tights: TJMaxx :: Liz Claiborne bow flats :: 
Hello Kitty panda purse:: DIY polka dot headband


I haven't had authentic Filipino food in a long time, I was ecstatic to find a Filipino restaurant close by, so B and I drove out for dinner. There were lots of signs indicating it wasn't as great a place as people reviewed it to be (no thanks, Yelp), and I should have heeded those signs instead of wasting my time and money.

The Telling Signs a Filipino Restaurant Isn't Authentic:
1. They don't offer you a spoon - Eating requires a fork AND a spoon. Knives are too fancy and really unnecessary if you know how to use a spoon.  If you're really hardcore, you eat with your hands.
2. They don't serve kare-kare- An oxtail stew made with a peanut-based sauce. If they don't have it, they're obviously not familiar with the integral flavors that please the Filipino palate.
3. The decor is off- What should I be seeing? HUGE wooden forks, spoons, and bowls. Maybe throw in some religious relics and paintings here and there. It adds to the ambiance, people.


This is the lumpia  we had as a starter. It was the best thing about that meal. Sadly, it was pretty mediocre by our standards. We ordered pork and squid adobo which was supposed to be a rich, sweet, and tangy sauce made with vinegar, soy sauce, peppers, bay leaves, and lots of garlic. Instead, it tasted like Dinty Moore stew. bleh. We were so disappointed, that we went and got pancakes afterwards. A pretty delicious way to wash down an awful fluke of a dinner. 

18 comments:

  1. You look great. I love all black with a bit of colour popping out! And your bag is precious :))) Mmm...good food. Have a great day doll x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad about the restaurant. I hate it when I get psyched up to try a new place and it just winds up being a total bust. Ugh. But, on the bright side (clever, no?) I do love your bright tights - that shade is perfect to pair with black.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your yellow tights - such a happy dose of color! And I love your bear shirt too. Sorry the food was a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your hair dark! It's very cute. Sorry to hear your dining experience wasn't great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bright tights! Sorry the restaurant was so bad. I hate trying new places only to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what lumpia is! haha my friend kept posting on Facebook that she was making it, but I had no clue what it was until recently. I don't think I've ever had Filipino before, though. I haven't even heard of a Filipino (authentic or Americanized) restaurant existing near me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I'm sorry about the restaurant :( I haven't had good Filipino food since I left Hawaii, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer about the food. I hate going to restaurants and getting my hopes up and then it's awful. At least you looked good! I love the yellow tights and the scarf in your hair like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh bleh! That's awful. I only had Filipino food twice in my life. My experience is sadly limited to those very small quantities. I enjoyed what I had but would happily try more. Maybe some day I'll make it back where it's easier to get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we may have one Filipino food joint here in Indy. And I think it is brand new. I need to learn to cook more Filipino food. I miss it...some of it. I don't eat diniguan anymore now that I know what it's made of. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's ashame about the restaurant! I hate when that happens. Glad you got some good food afterwards. I love your yellow tights and that tshirt. Too cute! WTG by adding color!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, about that restaurant, that's the worst. speaking of food just had good Vietnamese and sushi for dinner tonight, so delicious! You look fab, I love the Hello Kitty bag! x/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had Filipino food! Too bad this place was a fail for you.
    LOVE those tights! So bright!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw that sucks about the disappointing restaurant. I'd love to try authentic Filipino food someday.

    Anyyyyway. I'm jealous of your cool weather because you get to wear those awesome yellow tights! I love them with the leather jacket and cute bow flats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know the feeling.. when you have a "natural" hair, you feel a lil bit meh.. I feel the same with blond hair. You look great tho! I also love your bag ;3!! It's hard to find authentic ethnic restaurants.. we often eat sushi in Finland and it's okay but tastes quite fake compared to Japanese, but a finnish restaurant in Japan was super fake :D
    x,
    LaraLizard

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE how you added all this color in your outfit Laura, those yellow tights are so bold and fun! You know, I've never tried Filipino food, can you believe it!? I should really try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  17. aww that's too bad it was so disappointing! i love how you were already suspicious because of the non-spoon, haha! the people that reviewed it probably didn't know hot the authentic food tastes like. and i LOVE your pop of color with the tights. so, so cute :)

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate restaurant bummers. We visited a Thai place recently where all the sauces seemed to be made of ketchup. It was horrid.

    You outfit is adorable, as always :)

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥