How to make Mojitos



Mojitos are one of my favorite drinks ever and they're perfect for cooling down during the summer months. Guess what? They're also very simple to make. I bought a bunch of mint at the farmers' market over the weekend, and that gave me over a dozen mojitos. A dozen very delicious mojitos.



The secret to a great mojito is to infuse your syrup with mint. That also keeps you from having to muddle more mint into the drink, thus reducing the chances of those pesky leaves getting stuck to your teeth when you take a long swig.


Since mojitos are probably the most complex drink I'd ever venture making, I don't actually own a muddler. But my rolling pin worked extremely well as one. I also use it to crush toast for crumbs. Don't you love it when your kitchen utensils are multi-utility? 


I was extremely overcome by the refreshing smell of mint that I forgot to snap pictures of the other essential ingredient to mojitos: lime. They say, "put de lime in de coconut" but I say, "keep it with the mint."


Do you like my Alice in Wonderland glasses? I used to have 4 of these suckers (which I got from Urban Outfitters years ago), and we've broken 2, which makes me sad. I've been searching for similar ones with the Tenniel illustrations, but with no luck. So yeah, you bet I'm extremely careful with the two I have left!


Mojitos
Ingredients:
Rum
2-3 limes per serving or lime juice
club soda

For syrup
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
10-15 leaves mint

Directions:
1. Make the syrup first. In a small pan, heat the water and sugar until it is completely dissolved, making sure to stir often. Once all the sugar is dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and add the mint leaves. Let it soak and cool. The longer you soak the leaves, the mintier the syrup will taste. I wait overnight, but you can wait an hour. 
2. Juice your limes. If you can't find any good limes, lime juice is fine. 
3. Take 3-5 mint leaves, toss them into your glass, and muddle them with a little bit of sugar. 
4.  Add some ice over the muddled mint, 2 oz of rum, 1 oz lime, 1 oz or your minty syrup, and a splash of club soda.  

♥♥♥
BLOGLOVIN :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: PINTEREST :: INSTAGRAM

14 comments:

  1. Drinking anything out of fun glasses always makes things taste so good don't they? I have never made a mojito. My last experience with one was an awful one - mint leaves in the teeth and the whole nine yards, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite! I never thought to infuse the syrup though... smart. A few weeks ago I made Mojito jello shots and man, they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss mojitos this summer - a friend of mine makes really good ones! Next year I'll be making up for lost time, lol.

    I do adore your Alice in Wonderland glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mojitos and once learned how to make them on a cruise. It was so much fun. Your glasses are definitely too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mojitos aren't my absolute favorite, unfortunately - I think mint and I only get on in extremely rare instances, haha. But I really love those glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for leaving such a darling comment on my blog!
    Thanks for this step by step tutorial!

    Have the best day ever,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do look delicious! Pinning this... NOW.

    Jan Loves

    ReplyDelete
  8. delish! i do enjoy mojitos but the i'm-drunk-and-theres-mint-in-my-teeth puts me off. ill have to make some sugar syrup cos i have some delicious orange mint sprouting up in garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the glasses are so cool! i bet you can figure out a way to etch/emboss/screen print your own..

      Delete
  9. Laura, I want those GLASSES!!! Alice in Wonderland! Yes Plzzzz! Great drink doll! They're so good.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those glasses, they are so sweet. The drink looks fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aha, infuse the simple syrup with mint! Thanks for the tip. I've been enjoying mojitos thanks to a nice little mint plant we've been growing on the balcony.

    Anyways, B is calling for me, we're off to the gym, I'll be back to catch up on the rest of your posts. Ta-ta!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥