Life Lately 008

I've been filling my days with lots of exploring, crafting, reading, and taking pictures along the way. Here are a few, recent pictures that never made it to the blog until now.


I spend oodles of time visiting my library, perusing their book selection, and filling my book bag with too many books. It's an awful habit because I end up not reading a lot of what I take home. I'm too allured by the covers, sometimes, that I forget to read the jacket to see what they're actually about. Speaking of jackets, check out this beautiful marble decor on one of the library's outside walls. There are a few of them adorning the building, and the quote on this one was my favorite.


Look at that darling turtle! He, too, was decorating the library.


I've been practicing with different hair styles, especially victory rolls. I usually watch Youtube videos for inspiration and technique. My favorite channel, to date, is Vintagious which is full of retro everything: from hairstyles to home remedies to makeup. 


Though I'm currently immersed in reading comic book trades for reviews, I still try to make time for reading actual book-books. These are the last 3 books I finished:
Flowers for Algernon- I'm probably the only one who hasn't read this book until now. I thought it was lovely and read it all in one sitting. My favorite aspects were the seamless linguistic transitions and the fact that it feels so contemporary and timeless. 
My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me- This is a collection of short stories based on beloved fairy tales, mostly focusing on the darker elements of those stories. I enjoyed most of them, but could only find myself to read one of two stories at a time before I got bored and felt I needed to do something else. 
Eve: A Novel of the First Woman- I'm not quite sure why I picked this up in the first place, especially because I'm not a big fan of most historical fiction (too much meddling with the history and not enough good research!), but this book was surprisingly good and tackled issues I definitely did not expect.  



All of my jewelry and hair stuff are still in boxes because I haven't figured out a way yet of storing them. I'm hopelessly indecisive, I know. I don't want to waste wallspace hanging them, and I don't have a lot of desk space to have them in cases. But I would like to have them on display and be accessible. Do you have any ideas or tips on jewelry display and storage?


I'm currently obsessed with making my own bias tape. I swear, bias tape is the best thing ever invented! I simply abhor hemming, and with bias tape, I can always add a little bit more contrast to a finished piece! I'm hoping to be able to get an automatic bias tape maker and save my fingers from getting burned. Right now I use my iron to get it all nice and flat, which works just fine. Just... my poor fingertips!


Before the move, B and I got all our kitties collars just in case they got out. Five weeks later, Flash is the only one who still has his on and in pristine condition. Look at his snooty face! He is our loudest cat and starts singing once we turn the lights off for bed. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. 



No "life lately" post is complete without a picture or three of food. B and I rarely go to big chains, but we had to go to The Cheesecake Factory because... cheesecake. For serious. I'd totally forgotten how massive their menu was and took forever deciding that I wanted breakfast for lunch. Thus, chicken chorizo eggs benedict. AND a tuxedo cheesecake for dessert.  


We found yellow watermelon in the market, and it was delicious! I confess: I ate almost half a watermelon in one day just because it was soooo good!

♥♥♥
BLOGLOVIN :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: PINTEREST :: INSTAGRAM

18 comments:

  1. You have been a busy lady! Flash is so cute and he looks very regal in his photo. We usually go to The Cheesecake Factory once a year. The long wait is what deters us, but it's always good when we go. Yellow watermelon? I have never even seen anything like that, but it sure looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - that hairstyle is everything. And so it that panther bracelet. And I want to read that Eve book...and the fairy tale one.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life seemed really awesome for you! It's so wonderful keeping yourself busy with all the activities you love. Haha I share your love for bias tape! I swear I can put bias tape for everything if I can!

    Fang Ting
    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no stopping you! Isn't it great exploring new places? Sounds like you're having loads of fun and your hair is looking super lovely. I'm totes jealz of the cheesecake factory hehehe. Have a slice for me please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that first picture, wonderful. I do love libraries, museums and any place like that. Exploring is so much fun, I really feel like I've spent a great day living after I've been to one of these. Adore your hair, am going to check out this youtube page to get some ideas :))) I get bored with my hair. Loved all the photos, cheesecake yummy!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, you look beautiful! :) love the hairdo.
    i've never tried yellow watermelon. this is something i must try this summer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your kitty! He has a really cute face. One of ours does the same thing when we turn the lights off, she has to howl for about ten minutes and then she stops!

    I also do the same thing at the library - I take home way more books than I can read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh really cute pics sweetie. Now I´m follwoing you in Bloglovin´I hope your follow me back!
    xx

    Join to my Giveaway for Win an Etude House CC Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new hair, you look amazing! And YELLOW WATERMELON?! Who knew?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy yummy! Watermelon is amazing. Dennison loves it :D And you are looking GORGEOUS with the retro hair styles. Love love love!!!

    Also. More kitty photos. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sorta picture collections are interesting :) ! Your hair is gorgeous!!!!
    x,
    LaraLizard

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, yellow watermelon! I've never heard of that before. I'm glad it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yellow watermelon! SO COOL! I don't think I've ever seen it!
    Love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura, I use to do the same thing when I went to a library. I would have a pile of books. I never got through them all, but you do a much better job at it. I love that picture of you! What great hair inspiration! It looks fabulous styled that way. Ohhhh The Cheesecake Factory has a delicious menu. Those treats look so good! Love that picture of the turtle.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love what you've been doing with your hair lately!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh god, all of the everything! love it! and now, a disjointed paragraph - turtles all the way down; i have that same kate bernheimer book and thought i was just being a jerk not reaallly liking it; i think jewelry has to take up a lot of space, or it gets forgotten about; clover makes a little bias tape thing you just pull and iron - less burny fingers and super cheap; daww prissy kitty face; and lastly eggs bene and cheesecake!! gahh! too much fun

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, you are so cool. It seems like has been good to you lately! I actually don't think I've ever been to Cheesecake Factory. That needs to change. Oh, that library is BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait till I move to Phoenix where I'll have access to a decent library. I'll be going often. Also, yellow watermelon? I've never even heard of that. It looks awesome though.

    May the Force be with you.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chicken chorizo eggs benedict?! Sounds mighty good!

    Flash is such a cutie. And he has a bell! I keep meaning to get bell collars for my cats :D

    As for jewelry storage, I keep a lot of my rings in/on teacups and saucers that I've picked up while thrifting. Little cake stands also work well for bracelets or brooches.

    That is such a wonderful quote. Is it on the exterior of the library or inside?

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥