Smash Cosmetics Review

I stumbled upon Smash Cosmetics on Etsy a few months back when I was searching for a mega pigmented green lipstick to match my then-teal tresses. I have never purchased Indie/ hand mixed makeup before mainly because 1.)I'm paranoid about ingredients and 2.) I'm terrified of how my skin would react to them. I have very sensitive skin, especially around my eyes which tend to puff up and break out when wearing certain shadows. But while perusing the color choices, prices, and decent reviews for Smash Cosmetics, I thought, heck. $3.00 for 5 eyeshadow samplers with shipping is a steal. So I went ahead and got them.
These are the 5 colors I chose to sample. I took these photos from the site itself, unaltered, to show you how awesome they look and what enticed me to get them in the first place. Fast forward two and a half weeks later when I finally go my order and swatched them:
I also swatched them wet, which in the above picture are in the bottom row. They definitely look better if applied wet, but you can still see how the colors aren't really as accurately portrayed in the pictures online. Just for comparison, I made a small collage of how they're "supposed" to look swatched wet (pics taken from Smash Cosmetics etsy pictures)
Yeah, I am very disappointed with how the colors didn't really come out looking the way I expected them to be. Especially the greens! In this look, I'm wearing Galactic on the inside part of the eye and Komodo on the outside edges, but you can't tell there's a difference in this picture. I even wore green and purple cream shadow underneath to intensify their colors and NOTHING! 

Pros: Very inexpensive; Lots of color choices; Great pigmentation when wet
Cons: Powder is very messy to work with; shipping takes forever; very short staying power even with primer on; colors aren't accurately depicted.

VERDICT: Though the price is right, you definitely get what you pay for. I waited more than two weeks to get my samples in the mail. I know that the seller says that she makes each batch to order, but I don't think it's worth waiting two weeks for. The powder is hard to work with and has lots of giant bits of glitter (especially in Jayhawk) that hurt my eyes. To get the shadows to look vibrant, I had to put a cream base underneath in addition to eye primer, which is fine, but I don't appreciate the misleading photographs on the site. 

Have you ever tried Smash Cosmetics?

♥♥♥
BLOGLOVIN :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: PINTEREST :: INSTAGRAM

16 comments:

  1. I've never tried them...and probably won't now!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's a bummer! It's so hard to purchase things like make up and then have it not be what you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a shame...they look great on you, shame it wasn't as great as it seemed. I had never heard of them before. The kimodo sounded awesome too, such a shame!! Have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried "indie" make-up either, Laura! Go you, you brave soul! Sorry you were disappointed. I was really impressed with the pigment when wet (seeing them on your arm) but what a bummer that the colours are not what they are meant to be. Le sigh. Your eye make-up still looks schmazing though!
    xx, Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya doll :) Saw your comment...you could try the coconut, it is lovely, it just doesn't last very long, so you keep having to spray it to get through the day. But, if that doesn't bother you, then I would buy it. It is nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like some very vibrant color! I dislike when shipping takes such a long time though. That is frustrating! It's also frustrating if it's super messy to use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue is pretty, but I have the same thing in other brands sans little hurty bits. The greens, though, those were odd. I can see from the promo photos how they're supposed to be a smoked/blackened version of the colors but there should still be a green hint coming through and I see nothing on either. If you ever want to try indie again, I would recommend Kiss My Sass or Shiro Cosmetics. Both have their own sites (not just on Etsy) and I have tried both (in fact Shiro is where my almost-identical blue to this one is from)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sucks. I have a hard time finding eye makeup that stays put and doesn't have glitter, but I've never thought of looking on etsy. I usually just look for something with the least glitter possible. If you do find something else with great pigment, put it up because that's what I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard to navigate indie products, for sure. I've tried a few that were pretty consistent like Shiro Cosmetics, but I've just moved away from indie because there were just too many things that I preferred commercially (packaging, assurance of ingredients, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the only Indie brand I've tried is Fyrinnae, and they have awesome stuff. I get scared of other Indie brands about the ingredients too-I've heard some horror stories! I don't like big glitter in my shadows either-they get in my eye and clog my tear ducts and then my eyes leak for DAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa, these look great wet! I know what you mean about powder eyeshadows, they get everywhere and can definitely be a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never tried that brand - instead I'm obsessed with MUA Cosmetics, though :D Too bad the shades weren't what you expected, that's always such a bummer. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've never heard of them. so sorry to hear this Laura. excellent review. i'll definitely stay away from there stuff. hahaha
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. well i think you still look fantastic, but that stinks that you didn't love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ordered from them three times. The sample of plum eyeliner I purchased grew mold. I blogged about it on undertheinfluenceofbeauty.com - pictures and all. Since then, one other person came forth as having their lipstick grow mold. It seems like any product with water isn't safe to order. I'd be hesitant on using any of their products. I hope you don't mind if I share this on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥