To relax, I cook.

I finally have a little bit of free time to sneak in some blogging, you guys! I've been so busy with custom orders and making my costume for a convention I'm going to this weekend, that I haven't had the chance to do anything else. I like to start my days early so I feel like I get a lot more done, but the drawback to that is that I am exhausted come late afternoon. To unwind, I give myself an hour or so to make dinner. Here's some of the food I've recently made.
One of the perks of being an adult is being able to eat whatever you want, whenever you want. As in, I don't have to wait for Thanksgiving to have Green Bean Casserole. Green beans are in season right now, anyway, so that's enough excuse to make some! I make mine from scratch, except for the fried onions, which I buy from the grocers'. I just make a sort of rich mushroom rue in place of the canned soup, toss in a few herbs to season the fresh, slightly blanched green beans, bake, and it's done.
I don't particularly like pickles, but I can inhale this whole plate of Korean pickles with no problem whatsoever. I follow Maangchi's recipe for Oi-sobagi almost to the dot, except that I add a bit more hot pepper flakes to mine because the spicier, the better. A pickle with a bowl of rice and this girl is in Asian heaven.
To go with the green bean casserole day #2, I made a sort of eggplant parmigiana using whatever ingredients I had to work with in the fridge. Again, no real recipe-- I even threw in some unorthodox cornmeal in the batter and used cheddar cheese to top the sauce-- but it tasted really good.
This is a cheat, obvs, because I don't make cakes in plastic containers. I got this red velvet delight from The Cakery Bakery. I don't usually like cake-y sweets (I take a few bites, then B devours the rest) but this cake was absolutely moist and delicious that I had to eat it all myself (and it only took a couple days!) The buttercream frosting was rich, smooth, creamy, and not cloying-- which is so rare to find in American cakes!
When I'm too lazy to think of what to do with meat, I just cook sausage from the butchers' and dress it up with baconated kale and sweet potato rice. My favorite sausage to date is this chicken cheddarwurst. Actually, any cheddarwurst is delish to me. 

♥♥♥
BLOGLOVIN :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: PINTEREST :: INSTAGRAM

16 comments:

  1. UGH you made me hungry. and it's already 10pm here -_-. The eggplant parmigiana looks so good!!! At some point we've gone into a cooking rut, there aren't a lot of new dishes that I think of cooking anymore. I'm so going to try the eggplan parm! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to come to your house and eat dinner! This all looks amazing. With a picky eater husband it feels like we eat the same thing over and over. The green bean casserole is always a favorite during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow does that food look so good, your a wizz in the kitchen! You really can't beat sausages from butchers and local companies, they beat anything from the store don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok YUMMMMM. Now I am HUNGRY!! Those pickles look really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! My husband loves to cook to unwind, too, and I'm learning to make more things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to know how to make a really fast salad style oi-kimchee, but maybe I will try that recipe for a more traditional style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been fasting because I had to get my blood drawn today and I am wanting to eat all of this, all of it! I actually have never had green bean casserole, though, so that's looking mighty amazing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, these dishes look so good girl! You can cook some stuff. Yummm Oooh, show us your costume for the convention. Cant wait to see.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Con costumes can eat you alive for days on end! I know from making some for myself and especially my kiddo. When it rolls around to Halloween though from making costumes for everyone else I am dead tired and end up buying one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of that looks so good!! I agree that green bean casserole is too delish to limit to one day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, my mouth is literally watering, as of this writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe cooking is therapeutic to me too! You are such a great cook Laura, everything looks so yummy!

    Fang Ting
    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, am starving now...these look amazing!! I want to see your costume :)) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had quite the cultural feast. I love kale so much, probably one of my favourites other than spinach or brusselsprouts, which I love! Wish you a happy weekend Laura! Glad that you made time to unwind. xx/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cooking is one of those hobbies with close-to-instant payoff. (People that labour for months on mini model airplanes don't know what they're missing) And it's a feast for all the senses! The eggplant parm and baconed kale caught my attention, miam!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love to cook, but i get home too late during the week. i remember seeing your baconated kale...i bet it's so tasty!!

    [oomph.]
    Nordstrom Giveaway!
    Sephora Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥