Make ahead breakfast muffins

Even though I like starting my days early, I still like having something savory for breakfast everyday, which is why I try to come up with simple food that keeps for a while. That way, I can make a whole week's supply on Sundays and not have to worry about what to eat all week! I recently made some Ham and Cheese muffins tweaking the basic recipe from my Bacon Courgette muffins
Since I don't own muffin pans, I use these cupcake pans instead, and I usually end up eating two for breakfast each day. If I have leftover spinach dip or herb butter, I slather some on top of the "muffins" to add another flavor (and some greens!) I store them in my trusty cupcake-shaped cookie jar to keep them moist, and they keep for about one week. 

Ham and Cheese Breakfast "Muffins"
makes 12 "muffins" (cupcake=sized)
Ingredients:
1.25 c all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
.25 c melted butter
1 beaten egg
1 c milk
1.5 c shredded cheese (I like using a combination of what's on hand. Cheddar, mozzarella, havarti, and gouda are all so good
3/4 c to 1 c of diced ham

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners or parchment paper. 
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
3. Make a well in the middle and pour in the butter, egg, and milk. Mix until combined, and then add the cheese and ham. 
4. Pour into the cupcake tin and bake for 30 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving. 
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I want to make these, I have been making more savory items for breakfast lately because meat, cheese and egg are all low carb which I can do on my gestational diabetic diet. I bet these would be a not too bad choice for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I saw this post earlier this morning, but had to wait until I ate my breakfast. These look soooo good and anything you can make ahead of time is a-ok in my book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also need something savory and a little bit salty at breakfast, so I'll usually have a cheese snack stick along with whatever else I'm eating. I would totally try these, minus the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious. I think I will have to make a batch of these and a half batch of egg "muffins" to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yummmmm! i'm a fan of savory breakfast. i don't eat muffins that often but these look so good. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a creative idea!!! =) I think I'll have to try to do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh these look good! But curses, I am lactose intolerant.

    Sorry I haven't been around to comment lately! I do not know where this past week has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look amazing!! I love stuff like this for breakfast, all warm and toasty!! Yummy xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! i recently found a recipe for mini quiche that is supposed to quick and easy to make ahead and pack for kids lunches. these would work, too with the ham and cheese! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥