Black Tie

A couple of weeks back, I attended the wedding of a college roomie who recently moved to St. Louis. Her wedding was in a cute, little city that boasts a bevy antique shops, stone streets, and a great riverside view. It's my first night-time/black tie event, so of course I had to take the opportunity to wear a floor length gown. I mean, who passes that up? Since it was quite chilly and the ceremony was somewhat outdoors, I wore my vintage faux fur coat to keep me warm. Lace and faux fur? Totally black tie, right?
Since my invite was very last minute, (we didn't know we were both living in St. Louis until just a little over a week before the wedding!) I combed every store for a dress to wear. After days of searching, I finally found this gem at Torrid of all places! It was the first time I ever shopped the store, and I never would have thought of going in because they just don't seem to be my style. I tried quite a lot of dresses, and I have to say-- they make really comfortable clothes. Their sizing is really generous, in my opinion. I'm wearing their smallest size (a 12) and there's still a lot of room to move in this gown-- perfect for stuffing myself with food and drink and then dancing. And yes, I Cha Cha Slid. 
Makeup wise, I kept it fairly simple but polished. I did a slight smoky eye with winged liner. For my skin, I used luminizing powder to fake a vibrant inner glow. I skipped the blush and relied on my lips for color, using OCC lip tar in NSFW. I used a curler with a 2 inch barrel to create these soft waves.  
B and I had such a lovely time, and we were so happy to have an excuse to dress up all fancy schmancy and what not. We weren't expecting to see some familiar faces from our undergrad years in Alaska, so that was a nice surprise! I got to catch up with another roommate, the 2012 gold medal Olympian Jamie Gray, so yeah, photos were definitely in order!
Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous! I couldn't agree more about wearing the floor length dress. It's not too often so seize the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous dress, I may or may not be going to a last minute wedding at the end of this month and I have no idea about what to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so great! Happy you had a good time :) Weddings are lovely :3
    Have a good weekend :3
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look stunning doll and I'm glad you found this dress, because it is perfect on you!! Looks like such a great time xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous dress! What a fantastic last minute find! It fits you so well, lovely!

    Man I haven't cha cha slid in a while. I miss those days, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely dress. you look classy and sexy, Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool - and you look so gorgeous and glamorous! Seriously, va va voom!!!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize the dress was from Torrid, good find! They are so hit and miss for me. I think a lot of their clothing is a little too "club" for my taste, I don't need quite so many cut-outs and stretch synthetics, but I have some things from there I really love. We don't have a store nearby, though, so I rarely get much from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you on that. I thought they were a bit too "club-by" for my tastes too, and I really am not a fan of super trendy stuff. I guess I'm getting old -_-

      Delete
  9. Wow! That's a gorgeous dress on you! We don't have Torrid here, but I do walk in occasionally when we go to the states. I never get anything as their stuff always looks so "young" hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah! I know what you mean about them looking too "young" or as Cassy said above "too club" ;)

      Delete
  10. You look so beautiful! That dress is gorgeous, and how cool that you got to catch up with old friends, including one who is now a gold medal Olympian. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your dress is beautiful. and your hair! the waves are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look absolutely gorgeous, Laura! Your dress is fabulous and your skin is glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look stunning =) Beautiful dress. You can never go wrong with the romance of lace and red lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look super pretty in your fur and lace combination! Such a cool mix of texture. Your makeup also looks gorgeous here! I've been loving my occ lip tars. NSFW is a great red!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! You look so beautiful! That dress is really stunning and I never would have guessed it was from Torrid!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowza! You look fabulous in that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, gorgeous! Seriously, you look fabulous. Could you come do my hair for me? Your hair is so pretty. I love this faux fur jacket, I've been dying to get my hands on one.

    <3Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look absolutely gorgeous honey! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Laura. I mean, just wow. Lace and faux fur - that's fabulosity all on its own but your makeup? Divine. Seriously. Your skin is positively glowing and I adore your color combination between your eyes and lippie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look stunning. That dress is just Wow! I love how glamorous you look.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gotta love weddings ^^ you look stunning!
    Your makeup is beautiful as well c: Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. classy and so pretty :) love it

    xx
    Anita

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥