2013 Beauty Hits and Misses

I've tried lots of new products in 2013, and here's a short list of my favorite and not-so-favorite Beauty products! Let's start with the goodies!

HITS!
I purchased this a few weeks ago because of a reinvigorated interest in improving the quality of my skin. I lucked out and got my model on sale from Sephora, but having used it for some time now I would have paid full price for it. It’s gentle enough to use twice a day, even though the bristles do feel a little tough, and I love how smooth my face feels after using it. I also really LOVE the timer function so you know when to stop cleaning your face so you don’t over-exfoliate.
I cannot gush enough about this hair treatment. It is, hands down, the best conditioner I have ever used in my entire life.  After dyeing my hair black, I was worried that the damage from bleaching and going teal for months would really make my hair a nightmare and that I’d have to lop it all off (again.) But, using this treatment, I can keep having long, healthy hair. It’s insanely moisturizing and doesn’t make my oil-prone hair too much of a mess.

How have I not ever used these products before? Cassy introduced me to them a long time ago, but for some reason, I never got to using them regularly until this year. The applicator brush from their line is brilliantly engineered so it applies the product impeccably each time. And the colors in their line are so gorgeous and pigmented. I’m already contemplating getting the ultra set.
This is my favorite makeup remover of all time, and as a testament, I’ve already gone through two containers. Just a teeny bit of Ultrabland takes off every bit of makeup—from foundation to mascara to stubborn lipstick—and leaves my skin very soft and moisturized.

MISSES!
This was recommended to me by the SP after I told them my awful experience with Let the Good Times Roll. I was optimistic at first because the ingredients list boasted loads of ingredients that I know were great for treating acne, but in the end, it was really just so-so. I could only use it in the shower because the paste was so messy and got everywhere each time I would wash my face in the sink. I wasn’t a fan of the smell either.

Oily haired peeps, beware. My stylist recommended this to me to help in getting my hair back to tip top condition. I have very thick hair and a single, teeny drop made my whole head feel like a grease ball; I had to shower twice the day I first used this product.
It is with a heavy heart that I put this product in the “misses” category because I really wanted it to work. It smells so yummy and feels so great when I work it on my skin, but it made my breakouts worse and more often

My go-to lippies for a very long time were NYX since they offer a wide range of colors and are very inexpensive. I ordered a couple of these lip sticks from NYX a while back and haven’t really made a dent in them because they just don’t apply as cleanly as I would have hoped. They’re hard to work with and bleed very easily, which is such a shame!

What beauty products are in your hits and misses list for 2013?
Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore my Clarisonic - and I recently bought some of those NYX pencils but haven't had a chance to use them...it blows that it sounds like they don't work all that well.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad there was some hits there. I haven't tried any of these misses, the Herbalism one doesn't sound like it would smell at all good really, haha. Shame they didn't work. I guess you can't have everything though!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want a clarisonic. It was the one item on my Christmas wish list that I didn't receive. I am going to save up and purchase myself one.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I agree with Let The Good Times Roll-I gave it to Marky and it pretty much ruined her skin barrier. It took WEEKS for me to finally figure out a product to repair the damage that was done. Stuff is murder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sad that no one else can use Let the Good Times Roll. All of you send your balance of product to meeeee! haha. I still love it. I think I have skin of steel. I've had a few issue products (like the time I tried Lush's Ocean Salt on my face, bad idea) but for the most part anything can be my friend lol.


    You know what's weird with the Clarisonic? I got the deep clean brush head and I think it seems softer than the sensitive one. I keep going back and forth and I swear it really is. That makes no sense, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great post! I just got a Clarisonic cleaner for my birthday and I was skeptical at first but it really is great. And I'm totally trying the Loreal Total Repair 5 out on my hair! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post, Laura! I'm going to try that L'Oreal hair stuff! Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it, Larie! I seriously love the L'Oreal hair stuffz. I use their shampoo too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you liked it! :) Isn't the Clarisonic AMAZING? I was skeptical at first too, but I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're sad? DUDE, I wanted it to work for me! :( I don't have any left or else I'd send it to you! And thanks for the tip. I'll go give the deep clean brush heads a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh no!!! What did you end up using to repair?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't like how Herbalism smelled, but I was hoping it would do wonders! NOT on me! :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't the Clarisonic amazeballs? I hope you make those NYX pencils work on you! They just were so cumbersome for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr. Jart Ceramidin cream. Stuff is MAGIC.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww dang! Wish I'd seen this yesterday. I just ordered a hair repair masque which I don't know anything about. I saw some reviews from people but that's not the same as seeing your review. I feel like I know you, your hair, and what it's been through so it means more when you give a thumbs up! Love the heads up on th NYX lippie thing too. It's the perfect kind of product to sucker me in. Now I won't bother with them. I'll have to think about which products I've used lately to figure out which ones I'd endorse for people. Gah. Thinking. Am I even supposed to be out of a holiday food induced coma yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope that the masque you ordered is great for your hair! What is it, just out of curiosity? Sad thing about those NYX pencils, really. I wanted them to work but ugh! so very messy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The masque I ordered was L'Occitane's Repairing Masque. Here's a link to it if you'd like to take a look: http://uk.loccitane.com/repairing-mask--new-formula,83,1,30019,270708.htm

    I haven't received it yet but I'll let you know the results when I get down to trying it. Right now I'm flat out amazed at their Divine Cream from their Immortelle line. I don't know how it's not too heavy for my skin but it's not. My skin ends up feeling baby soft all day long, not greasy at all and I haven't broken out a bit. If anything my complexion is looking brighter. Even the area around my eyes which had been looking a bit dull and dark. (Gotta start investing in that thing everyone talks about, called "beauty sleep". I hear it works wonders.) I'm trying out an eye cream as well. Once I figure out if it's worth the money, I'll spread the word. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those lip tars too. I had to buy the big 12 set of the minis. I wore the sparkly hot pink one for New Year's Eve and it was so much fun since I don't really have other sparkly lip products. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I may just have to! I was gifted the Bite lip set for Christmas, and I am loving the quality of their lippies too AND buxom! Too many choices!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for these, Rachel! I am looking for an eye cream too, and maybe some anti aging stuff soon, because... vanity! GAH! I haven't used any of the L'Occitane hair things, (didn't even know they existed) but their lotions are amazing, so I bet what you got is super too!Let me know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the lip tars too! I feel like once you get into those, it's had to get back into using NYX :p I had the same problem with their jumbo pencils (both eyeliner and lip), and gave up on it since.


    I love the Clarasonic too! :) I have a dupe-y one from Groupon and it's GREAT. I can only imagine how good the real one is!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I know! I am loving my lip tars and the lip pencils from Bite that I haven't touched my NYX stuff in ages! And I really love my Clarisonic. What did you get from Groupon?

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥