Christmas according to my phone

I had an extremely low key Christmas celebration, which is exactly what I wanted. B and I stayed home all day, playing games, watching movies, listening to music, and just hanging out with each other. It was perfect. 
We noshed on these Culatello-wrapped asparagus spears. They were so good that we polished off the plate in no time! The Culatello was fragrant and very fruity-- a delicious pairing with the asparagus!
Instead of making dessert, we opted for cupcakes from Jilly's Cupcake Bar. Their cupcakes are unbelievably moist and scrumptious, and the buttercream frosting is not too sweet! From L-R, top to bottom, we got: 
1. Twisted Pink Velvet- pink velvet cake with caramel filling, topped with a caramel buttercream and pecan praline. 
2. 24-Karat Carrot Cake - carrot cake with vanilla cream cheese frosting topped with toasted coconut, white chocolate shavings, and 24 karat gold dust.
3. Chocolate Thunder - Chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache filling, topped with milk chocolate and vanilla buttercream, chocolate shavings, and chocolate bark. 
4. Clarisse the Reindeer - Vanilla cake with chocolate ganache filling, topped with vanilla buttercream and a cherry nose. 
While waiting for the clock to strike midnight, B and I curled up on our couch watching episode after episode of Coupling while sipping on hot cup after hot cup of yummy mulled cider. I was bundled up in my flying squirrel kigurumi! 
B gifted me the bestest books evar. When I initially started my MA, I was planning on writing a thesis on Bestiaries. I LOVE how people depicted foreign and imaginary animals in manuscripts, but for some odd reason, I veered into researching about charms and religion instead. Now I can refuel my fascination with these books! Oh and that large book, The Empire of Death, is a book of charnel houses and ossuaries with LOADS and LOADS of pictures! 
Late on Christmas day, one of our neighbors surprised us with a box of chocolates. It was super sweet! They knocked on our door all bundled up in their robes and jammies! We were in our jammies as well, so it felt like we were in some kind of community sleepover!
One of my sisters gave me these ridiculous and fuzzy panda socks that I promptly slipped onto my feetsies as soon as I peeled off the wrapping paper. I love how outrageously tacky they look and how they make me look like I have cankles. 
B and I got the kitties lots of new toys, which they immediately slobbered over and chewed to bits. Here's Flash in his swanky necktie nibbling on his crinkly elf toy. He loved it so much that he's pulled off the stuffing out of it already. I don't dare touch it since it's probably all covered in kitty slobber. 
Pin It!

28 comments:

  1. Still so jealous of your kigurumi. I want one, but they are all sold out online pretty much! Also, I love that your cat has a tie. So dapper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low-key is good; life comes at us so fast. I love your panda socks. I'd steal 'em when you weren't looking. And I've never heard of Culatello before. I googled it and now want to wrap it around my own asparagus. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had one of those "perfect" Christmas!
    (and yay for disqus! ^-^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Christmas is always nice and quiet and cozy. Love those socks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A low-key Christmas sounds lovely and you really can't go wrong with books and chocolates as presents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. low key Christmases are the way to go! i also had one and it was quite relaxing. those cupcakes look amazing! i especially love the pink frosted reindeer one! happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! "Christmas according to my phone" hehehe. I had no idea that Bestiaries was even a thing. I look forward to delving into it because that sounds fascinating! Looks like you had a tasty and cosy Christmas. Beware the kitty slobber! It sneaks up on you when you're least expecting it. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. B got this flying squirrel kigurumi for me before it was a craze here in the US. So he had to order mine direct from Japan. Isn't Flash cute with his tie? He looks ridiculously dapper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you should find some Culatello immediately! It's so delicious and fruity and makes the asparagus extra nommy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally did! :) Hope yours was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree! I had quite the book haul this year, I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  12. they're just not cute... they're really good, which is big coming from a gal who isn't much of a cake/cupcake person. Oh and our cats enjoyed all the wrapping bits a little too much too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're such awesome books! I love getting books as presents: )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to hear you had a lovely Christmas. The pink reindeer cupcake is so happy, right? ;) Happy holidays to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I am obsessed with Bestiaries! I just love imagined animals in general. ;) Kitty slobber is ridiculous! but hey, it's not as bad as doggie slobber ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man those panda socks are the cutest socks in all the land! So fuzzy! And the asparagus appetizer looks delicious. I could go for that right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you had a great holiday! Those panda socks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Alex! I totally did :) Hope you did as well. Those Panda socks are darling and so very cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aren't they? They are so ridiculously cozy too! I love asparagus. And I love cured meats, so yeah, both together? EPIC.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you guys had a great time. Low key is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those books sound really interesting! You'll have to let us know how they are! Hope you had a fab Christmas, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks like a perfect Christmas, especially with all that food!! :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like a wonderful and gorgeous Christmas doll, am pleased you had such a fun time!! I had a much needed break, but am back. I hope you have a fun and festive New Years as well :)))) xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. that's totally how we spent christmas. staying in and watching movies and playing games. love those panda socks. so cuute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fuzzy socks, sweets, good books and good company…this has happiness scrawled all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those have to be the cutest cupcakes i've ever seen - the icing decoration is amazing! Our cats ending up being more interested in the empty wrapped paper then any gifts we happen to buy them! Entertains them for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. pretty jealous of that book haul, even though I got some great ones myself :3

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥