Boston

Last weekend, B and I took a weekend trip to Boston to visit some very good friends of ours. Since we were only there for 3 days, we didn't really expect to do too much, but our extremely gracious hosts made it such an amazing trip full of games, food, and awesome company. 
I love seafood, so I made it a must to eat as much seafood as I could get my claws on while up there. Of course, I had some lobster (giant chunks of crustacean!) and a ton of fried clam strips, which are now one of my most favorite foods ever. I loved the clam strips so much that I begged to have them a second time in the short time we were up there!
To make me feel less guilty about indulging in food, we did a lot of walking around the city. Thankfully it was a balmy 50F, so it was extremely comfortable touring the city for hours and hours on foot. We ogled at buildings and beautiful architecture, sauntered down the narrow, twisting roads with teeny shops and even teenier signs. 
We also made it to Paul Revere's grave as well as to his home before his grave. Surprisingly, the area was devoid of tourists, which was great for us to take our time and soak it all in without disturbance. Incidentally, while here, we stumbled upon a small room where people in Colonial dress were offering demonstrations on Colonial America chocolate making! The hot chocolate we sampled was so delish, that I had to get some for home!
Most of our time up in Boston was spent chilling with an awesome couple-- really great friends of ours we met when B and I were in grad school. Back when we all were still living in Illinois, we used to get together almost every weekend and play boardgames. So of course, it was only natural that we busted them out during the trip! We played a long and hilarious round of Cards Against Humanity and more than a few rounds of Pandemic. I redeemed myself in Ticket to Ride and finished in second place (though that's to be disputed since our tally man had a lot to drink.) But I regret to report that I am still rubbish at Settlers of Catan, and probably always will be. 
We had Sunday brunch at a lovely tapas place called Toro that had killer Chilaquiles. Like seriously. 
Of course no vacation is complete without sweet treats. We stopped by a bustling Mike's Pastry for some cannoli (pistachio and pecan) which was apparently extremely delicious. I wouldn't know since I'm lactose intolerant and am not a fan of sweet Italian things. I did, however, mow down on a yummy, giant Nutella croissant. From Flour, I sampled the Berry Bread Pudding and my friend M got a chocolate cupcake. That teeny box weighed at least 3 lbs. 3 lbs of goodness, that is!

I had a wonderful weekend, but it went way too fast. More trips are definitely on the horizon!
Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. The design on the pastry box is simple and cute! I love the buildings and architecture, it sort of reminds me of SF in a way. My sister used to go there and always tell me about the food, I want to go there now! Thanks for sharing Laura. Enjoy your week.
    x/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome, have always wanted to go to Boston, i really should have gone when I was living in America still, but sometime I will come. The food and historical site is awesome :))) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! And you really got away just in time. We got another several inches of snow last night and now it's freezing rain. Not that you don't get that at home, too. I have only been to Boston a couple of times myself, once as a tourist with my mom. We saw Paul Revere's house as well and I swear the picture you took of the door looks exactly like mine down to the framing of the shot. I can't show you, though, because mine was from back in developed film times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! I've never been there, but have always wanted to go. I've seen shows about restaurants there and OMG FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD. I'd gain 10 pounds in three days there haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, looks like you had a ton of fun!!! Clam Strips sound TOO GOOD!!!! =) I've only been to Boston once but it was not enough time to tour and look around the gorgeous city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Cards Against Humanity!!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I'm glad I just ate a huge slab of cake because seriously those food pictures are so tasty looking! Sounds like you had a great little trip away with no snow it slight it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely envious of your trip to Boston! that is a place I've always wanted to see in person! So fun!

    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was drooling over these pics on your instagram, and now here i am again. and it's only 6 am! nom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it? And the pastries were pretty delish too ;) Hope you do make it to Boston one day-- it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you enjoyed it, Kizzy! Definitely a place to visit when you come visit the US! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SERIOUSLY! Because it was SuperbowlSunday(what?) no one was flying and the weather was perfect (though not because it was SBS) One day I will have a lot more time to spend traveling and we can meet up. FREALS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how lucky! Bet you saw even better parts than I did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh, there's food everywhere I turned. It was so hard to say no.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who DOESN'T love CAH? ;) Good lawdy, those clam strips are my weakness. Seriously. I dream about them still.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We sure lucked out on the weather! I think it's the first weekend without snowfall for weeks! CRAZY WINTER, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't that building the cutest? I had to stop everyone from walking into my shot to take it too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You should, you should! It's busy but not as crowded or dingy as New York. And the brownstones everywhere! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I try not to look at my pictures when I'm hungry. SOOOO TASTY too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you were able to combine visiting a beautiful city like Boston with catching up with old friends. The food looks fantastic!! Mmmm-mmm

    ReplyDelete
  21. That would be awesome. If you're ever in New England for an extended time, totally let me know. I would be willing to do a little traveling. I can't say my driving skills in Boston are the best, but I don't think people native to Boston can say theirs are either... Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad to hear that you had a great getaway.
    I love seafood and clam strips are my favorites, too!
    Love the picture with green and yellow building. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. awesome time. i keep telling my husband that we should visit boston but he isn't that sold on it being a neat city. i'm going to have to show your pictures to him. those sweets look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds awesome! My mom is from Boston, and I loved visiting the city a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥