Closet Confessions

Early last week, I went home early from work to avoid a shitsnowstorm that turned out to be a dud. Cooped up at home, I decided to do a ton of laundry, hang up my clothes, and make everything look nice and neat. A couple of hours later, I took this picture on my phone and thought nothing of it until today. 

This, my friends, is my entire wardrobe. 

OK, not really. I have 6 pairs of jeans, a couple sets of jammies, a dozen or so comic book tees, a handful of coats, and of course underoos and socks not pictured in here. But apart from those, this is it.  These are the clothes I pick from when I put together work and weekend outfits. 

I paused after that last sentence for a while. 

I don't know about you, but I think my wardrobe is teeny. Well, the teeniest I've ever had, like, ever.

It didn't used to be like that. Ever since I was a kid, I was always a hoarder of clothing. I clung to items that had sentimental value even though they didn't fit me anymore or suited my tastes. I had clothes on the floor, clothes on my bed, clothes bursting from dressers. Now, there's just this.

This change sure didn't happen overnight. I don't know when the exact moment started, but it was probably after I experienced "the blogging high."  Ya'll know what I'm talking about. 

"The Blogging High:" You're a new blogger. You're eager and get really immersed in the community, so you start joining in on themed posts or trends. Suddenly, you don't have as much extra money as you used to have. But you now have 5 new pairs of wedges in your closet. True story. 

After that harrowing wedge experience, I started keeping track of what I had, what I needed, what looked good on me, what I could let go. And it turns out, I could let go of a lot. And right now, I'm pretty content with what I have. Keeping my closet pared down really makes me think about how to get the most of each piece of clothing and what I truly need to have. It also has made me learn a lot about myself and how I've grown style-wise.

Hopefully, I'll be able to maintain having a manageable wardrobe. I'm very tempted to accumulate more stuff just because I feel like I don't have enough items to pick from, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's always quality over quantity. And a great fit.
 Pin It!

29 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head Laura! I have learned over the last year especially that quality is definitely better over quantity. It's so hard not to buy the next best thing because everyone else is doing it. After coming off my no shop January, I really had to re-assess my shopping habits and be more selective about purchases. I think having a smaller closet that has things that you love and fit well is way better than a full closet with a bunch of crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is better to buy what you love and what will work into your wardrobe with other things, otherwise it just sits. I have been going through my wardrobe - which is a state & I realized I don't have as much as I thought, but I had a lot of stuff I never wear, so I sold some on ebay and donated the rest. Now, I try and take my time buying things and get what I love and that can work well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eventually I need to do this. I really do have so much more than I can ever wear and I just don't need it all. My current problem, though, is not having a closet. I have 2 dressers and an armoire and then everything else is shoved into about a dozen of those plastic tote storage bin things. I am constantly unearthing clothing I forgot I owned and wearing things I'm not thrilled with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My closet looks very similar to yours. It's definitely smaller than earlier closets (and especially my early days of blogging closets) but I think the pieces I have are tried and true. I like to think of my closet now as a curated collection.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's always good to keep track of what you have. Over the past decade I have had to really narrow down my wardrobe--even though I had enough, because since I travel a lot I pay attention to what I actually buy, what can work and ultimately always versatile. Needless to say I wear everything in my wardrobe ... for the most part now! :) Have a great day Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to go through my closet now! I've held on to a few things in case I go back to work, but honestly, they're probably way out of style by now! Out it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wuut.. but!! Mine is like yours!!? Some clothes are packed away in boxes that are going away soon tho. My hubby still considers my wardrobe HUGE (and honrestly, it's just like yours :D)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack, this is inspiring - I need to trim down, myself. I feel like there's so much stuff, though, like workout clothes and pajamas and SOCKS. UGHHHH. I do need to get everything under control!

    ReplyDelete
  9. downsizing it necessary. MY closet is stuffed with clothes iI will NEVER wear even though every 2 months I clean it out. I have been making a valiant to pull out things I never wear....and give them a go. 9 times out of 10, I realize why I never wear them. Discomfort. Ill fitting. Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moving countries really downsized my wardrobe and actually for the better, fashion well in practical stuff kind of went out the window and Target staples came in, plus now I have the boys tshirts to wear when i'm feeling very lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm considering packing clothes up for seasons and then reintroducing them, because I hate having so much STUFF in my room all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess I have about as much as you. I only have 2 pairs of jeans but I make up the difference in yoga pants and leggings. I know exactly what you mean with the "blogging high". I have a dress hanging up that doesn't fit me well, that I have no idea what to wear under it and it needs something under it, but I can't bring myself to let it go because I wanted it for so long while "on the high" and I found it on sale for a fraction of the price. It became a must-have and it's sat there ever since. No matter how many times I pare my closet down, I keep it. I let it serve as a good reminder for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sometimes look at my closet and think I don't really own that much stuff and need to go shopping. But then a couple times each year I clean my closet and give away boxes of clothes.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  14. WELL DONE. I'm impressed with the vast array of outfits that's come through those doors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Moving is definitely a driving factor! And being able to "borrow" your sigfig's clothing increases your wardrobe too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to to do that when I had more clothes! It definitely gets rid of all the clutter :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a good idea, Rachel-- keeping it as a reminder! I actually have a lot of... socks not pictured in here, but those don't count because I wear them all the time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have 3 sock drawers. Yep. That's right. 3. How ridiculous is that. And yet, I wear them all until they have holes and I have to bury them in shame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. 3 sock drawers! OMG! that's a lot! I only have one but it's brimming :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, I went through that wen I started blogging, and when I finally calmed down, I was able to just curb my shopping urges. Slowly I'm getting to shop smarter! It takes time though-- so good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok... So I have quite the sock collection, and I am accumulating work out clothing like crazy! I guess it's a good thing I didn't photograph those? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I have a much smaller closet than before, and I like it! My husband used to tell me I have way too much, but I know he has more than I do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I was I grad school, I bought stuff I thought I would wear when I got a job. But now i think they are so completely
    NOT what I would wear!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! I definitely want to wear EVERYTHING in my closet, so I'll purge until I get there. Well, and shop smarter too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. And your closet surely is! I love a lot of pieces I see in your outfits, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Having a closet where I can hang and see everything made a huge difference for me. But I also need to get a dresser for my socks and underwear and jam jams. I still think you can make it work without the closet though!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So right, Kizzy! I have totally started taking my time too. No more shopping sprees with huge overstuffed bags for this gal!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay for you! When I went on my 6 month challenge I came out of it a different person! And yes-- I want a closet that I will wear because everything looks and fits great! What a goal, huh?

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥