Ulta Cosmetics Review

I was having a really crap day when I decided to cheer myself up with some makeup. Ulta is a quick 5 minute drive from my work, and I had a good half hour to kill before another appointment, so I scheduled a speedy trip to look at new cosmetics. Turns out, they're having a promo where you get a free 14 piece set with the purchase of $19.50 in Ulta products. Since I've never used Ulta products before, save for this nail polish I got a year back, I thought, why not? 
These are the 3 items I ended up buying to get the promo:
I used this as a base and to brighten up the inner eye. The foam tip is handy for softening edges. It does the job, but I'm not in love with it. 
This is total rubbish. The liquid doesn't flow to the tip at all, and I ended up having glops of uneven liner on my eyes. For the record, whatever liquid did make it to my eye did stay the whole day. 
Scentless and non-sticky is always a good thing on my book. I loved the swatch but that didn't translate too well on my lips. 
Here are the items I decided not to open/give away since I'm not too fond of shiny lips or eye pencils. Also, I have a billion shades of hot pink in my nail polish stash.
Of the items I got for free, these are the ones I've used so far:
Ulta Blush in Sweet Cheeks: Glittery, very light orange-y blush. Not a lot of pigmentation. I had to brush this on multiple times with a heavy hand to get to show on my skin.
Ulta Matte Prime: Nothing too special about this. It works just as well as Pixi Flawless Primer. I have combination/oily skin, and by midday I have to take a couple of oil absorbent papers to my face.
Ulta Voluptuous Volume Mascara: Again, nothing special about this mascara. And considering that you can get the same quality for cheaper, I'd skip this.
Ulta Eyeshadow Quads in Classic (browns); Dramatic (dark); and Chic (brights): The main reason why I wanted to get the promo gift. They're surprisingly pigmented and easy to blend. I've been playing with all 3 quads so expect to see some looks using them in the near future.

VERDICT: Overall, I'm disappointed with the quality of makeup from Ulta. Of all the items I tried, the only ones that I really liked and see keeping are the eyeshadows. I can think of many drugstore brands that are cheaper than Ulta but have more color selections and work just as good, if not better, than the Ulta products I tried.

Have you tried Ulta products? 
Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. You may not realize it but a statement like this one ("I decided to cheer myself up with some makeup") is a door to a new reality. Before I opened that door myself, I was unaware and unappreciative of how much fun female grooming can be. Now I know. I'm glad you get to enjoy it, too.
    We have an Ulta near me and, like you, I was underwhelmed by their products. We can get better elsewhere for less money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buying makeup as a pick me up - that said, I have never been super impressed with anything by Ulta other than the nail polish as you said. For a cheaper makeup brand that I think has better quality, I prefer Elf from Target.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used this brand before...actually, I'm not even sure it retails in Canada!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah..I agree Ulta cosmetics are pretty much duds for me (Sephora was a similar case but they seem to do better now)..but there are a few single eyeshadows I bought from Ulta that are great!
    Hope you're doing better now..It' almost weekend. Almost. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like they're stuff is how Sephora's used to be. That's too bad. Whenever I visit an Ulta in the US nobody seems to buy their products and now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried Ulta products before. I will likely continue to stay away from them. But the nail polishes look very pretty.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ulta and I are definitely not bffs and that includes their Ulta-brand cosmetics. I haven't tried much, but was underwhelmed with what I did try. My recent pick-me-up in makeup had been new Lip Tars. I got 4 new ones :X

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome review. unfortunately I didn't have a chance to check them as they are not for sale in my country. i think I should consider some online shopping for them

    Lyosha

    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried ulta. Now I probably won't! :D Good set of reviews and I'm looking forward to what you figure out with the eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shame they didn't do it for you...I've never used them before & maybe I shall skip them now, haha! I hope you have a fantastic weekend doll x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, sorry most of the products didn't work for you! I love Ulta for their body washes, masks and some of the other brands they carry, but have yet to try their own cosmetics line.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like i am the only one who hasn't tried this brand. They have ultas in Nashville and I am a product whore, but frankly, I haven't really heard much about people being WOWED by the products...so I have abstained. This is only reaffriming my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true!!! Cosmetics really is a huge world of play for me and. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elf has some nice pieces! I like their studio brushes a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny you mention sephora bacause I never liked them until I spied their baked shadows over the last month. Still have to go in and swath them but the shades look very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup! Like I was telling Lena, I still have to recheck the sephora brand now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah-- they do come up with pretty nail colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. And I've been contemplating getting more lip tars too!!! I like the mini sets because I usually get tired of the shade about the time j finish the mini tube. What colors did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely recommend you do!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll have to give their body stuffs a chance. There are some pretty scents they make!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They just released the Plastic Passion collection and while I plan to get all of them, I started with Hollywood (kind of natural with a golden sheen), Mannequin (bubblegum pink), Rollergirl (bright purple) and Pool Boy (light blue). Pool Boy was the one I wanted most. Because, you know, I have a lot of placed to wear a blue lip color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yup! I just didn't think they're worth it!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥