Chicago in 22 hours

Last weekend was a whirlwind involving an impromptu trip to Chicago. Five hours of driving through an immensely bare (and flat) landscape, we finally made it to the Windy City on Friday. It's been a good long time since we'd been back. We frequented it more when we lived just 2 hours south of it, and though our trip was short, it was a very nice visit!
The reason for our visit, and honestly, the only other reason I'd go visit Chicago is my good friend J. How do you know we'd click? We unknowingly bought the same sweater. So of course, we had to take our Tigeriffic swag out to town. At one of the bars we went to, the staff swooned over our coordination. A random gal wearing a tee with a huge tiger on it asked us immortalize our Tigertastic tastes. It was awesome.
J has a peculiarly alluring sense of style composed of meshing religious relics and antiques (and antique-inspired) with touches of Mexican flair. 
I also finally got to meet Lenny the cat. Lenny is huge and fluffy and old, and all he does is plop! 
Since I didn't even have time to properly pack for the trip, I nabbed the comfiest and easiest stuff to wear. Tights + boots + loose top = Laura looking put together. It was a bit chilly so I grabbed this coat that I scored from my work's recent sample sale. Then, we were off to make the most of our Saturday!
I'm a firm believer in starting any day right. Thus, breakfast. Since J is a HUGE Taco Bell lover, and because B and I were curious about their new breakfast fare, we made that our first stop. Awful decision. I took one bite before deciding not to eat any of the eggs/cheese. Then took another bite and stopped altogether. Thank the maker I got a hashbrown because I had to subsist on that until lunchtime.
We then spent a huge chunk of the morning at Mitsuwa, a Japanese shopping center. We all stocked up on pastries, Japanese candies and treats, magazines, and some cute knick knacks. 
And I (starving) got myself a Gabutto burger! Teriyaki beef sandwiched between two rice buns, and some sour cream and onion flavored fries-- YUM!
After we wore ourselves out, we hopped right back into the car and drove back into the city. I surprised myself by belting out most of the lyrics to "The Ketchup Song." We decided to walk off our lunches while getting our shopping fixes. One of our "regular" places to shop is at the Belmont Army. If you've never been, there are five floors of awesomeness: a boutique, a skate shop, military goods, vintage, and a whole floor of footwear. 
Surprisingly, I walked out with nothing, even after spending forever trying on stuff. I guess the stars just weren't aligned. Shortly afterwards, B and I had to pack up and leave for home since we had a pottery class early Sunday morning.  
The drive back was long, and we were chasing the light. Then I promptly plopped on the bed and slept the night away. 

24 comments:

  1. Shoes! I am still on the fence about vintage shoes. There are so many great styles, but I get all weird about wearing shoes that other people have worn. I have gotten a few pairs while thrifting and I don't think I actually wear any of them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome trip! I think the new Taco Bell breakfast fare looks super disgusting, and your post just confirmed my suspicions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally would visit Chicago every chance I got! And I love that matching sweater photo - so seriously awesome!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the tiger sweaters :)
    also, 5hrs drive, cray cray! Not something I could do anymore with a child haha.
    All that food looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fabulous trip. That Gabutto burger sounds and looks amazing! I wish I could try it. I love the wooden bead curtain in J's apartment and those beautiful wooden floors. It's a really cool aesthetic. I miss trips like these. I suppose I could do the same here but it's just a bit different isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like an amazing time, love all the pictures. So precious you two had the same sweater, so sweet!! You look gorgeous doll. I hope your weekend is bliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful that you shared your trip with us. I liked Chicago, especially food when we went. How funny that you and your friend had the same top, haha. Adorable. Happy weekend Laura.
    /Madison

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean! I'm super picky when I get vintage shoes, I rarely get them! And most of the time I wear them, I have socks on even if they're "new" or look clean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooo gross, heather! I would totally stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That picture is so tacky I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh believe me if I could afford to, I would have flown! The drive time is ok... But the scenery is very bland! If I'm driving that long I want to see mountains and stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't he have the coolest style? And he finds this stuff just everywhere! I was so happy to get my gabutto fix! And the rice bun is soooooo good especially with the meat sauce! I would love to see pics from your day tripping across the pond! Different is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Kizzy! I hope you have a lovely weekend as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chicago has some mad awesome restaurants! Did you get to have deep dish pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, absolutely my favourite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is so awesome how you and your friend unknowingly bought the same sweaters! that's true friendship right there. and i love mitsuwa market. there is one in jersey that i used to go all the time. and i wish i knew about belmont army before. i used to go to chicago frequently in the past for work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fun trip to the city! And you're both rocking those tiger sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I lived even closer to Mitsuwa! I would be there ALL THE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha! Aren't those sweaters hilarious? And yes, we had loads of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's one thing i miss about the states...being able to just drive anywhere. i can drive around the island in a couple of hours and be back in time for lunch, lol! sounds like good times!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been on the fence about the taco bell breakfasts - haven't got around to trying anything although i've been warned a couple of times not too hmmm! You two are too cute with your matching sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  22. IT sure was! I bet it's fabulous being able to drive around the islands though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. stay away from them! They are awful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chicago's on my travel bucket list! You're lucky to live close enough for impromptu road trips. I'm sure the vintage shopping is phenomenal even if this time you didn't find anything.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥