Anniversary Adventures part 2: Ren Faire Me

In a tangled web of coincidences, my wedding anniversary happened to fall on the first week of the St. Louis Renaissance Faire. Since I had always always wanted to go to one and only now live close enough and can afford to splurge a little, B and I were determined to spend a whole day Ren Faire-ing. And I loved it. 
But first, a selfie. I decided against (too much) makeup, lest the weather gods decided to bestow humidity and heat upon their mortal subjects. So it was just lots of sunscreen and lipstick for me. We drove to Wentzville, which is about an hour away from St. Louis. It was such a gorgeous, mild Spring day; I kept my coat on the whole time!
Since B and I have taken pottery lessons, we are totally seeing ceramics in a different light. I wanted to buy so many ceramics, but I restrained myself from going too crazy. 
COSPLAY. I was thrilled to see so many people dressed up in period garb (never mind if they're really period accurate/specific) and speaking with feigned accents about anything. There were some pirates, fairies, and some Monty Python cosplay as well!
If you already didn't know, I want a whole suit of armor. Not to wear, since I would be crushed under its weight, but for display. Now if I only had the space, the money, and the patience to maintain it...
Sooooo many gorgeous pieces of clothing I wanted to just buy and never wear! 
I was really hoping to get a turkey leg, but alas, everyone else wanted to get a turkey leg. So B and I ended up splitting a ribeye sandwich. People sold fried pickles, fried oreos, fried twinkies, fried strawberries (no, really), fried everything. I just wanted a stupid turkey leg :(
We did see a jousting tournament! It was cheesy, of course, like those you see at Medieval Times, but so much fun!
In the end, I came home with just a couple things: a pewter stamp and this Lord of the Rings inspired mug. The inscription says, "One ring to rule them all and in the beer drown them" which is kind of silly, but I couldn't get it out of my mind the whole time I was at the fair. Now, it's my precious.  

34 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me??!!! I'm so jealous - I've always wanted to go to one of these (and I'm a little bummed you didn't get a turkey leg).

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fun! We have a Ren Fest too but it's not until the Fall.


    And side note, the last time we came down to St. Louis we had to stop in Wentzville because my husband wasn't feeling well. Hoping that doesn't happen this time, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love renaissance fairs. I hit my first one in school and my mom made a killer costume. I wish I had still had it. It was sooo hot though because it was made of velvet. The last time I went we couldn't get turkey legs either because they were sold out, but I did buy a corset covered in tiny gold fleur de lis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun time! I went to one of these a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG so much fun! I've never been to one, but want to go so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love! I still am yet to make it to my second Ren. Faire, but I want to sooooooo much. We totally watched cheesy jousting and went to a comedy show and watched a rat circus. That's where I got stung by a bee, but the rats were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am seriously jealous! I need to get back to St. Louis soon. Did you meet any SCA (society of creative anachronisms )people there? It's usually filled with tons of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like so much fun! Haha! LOVE your mug, and that lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I luuuuvs me a good ren fair. I've only been to a couple in my life but they're always good fun. Looks like there were loads of great craftsmen there. Do you think it'll be something you two will try and hit up again? Did any of the ceramic pieces you saw there inspire you guys for when you do more ceramics?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome mug - love the engraving ^_^

    Must be the time of year for it, because there was a renaissance fair out here for us too, not that I went though....might have to next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That mug!!! Love it! :D And the fair looks nice, I've never been to a renaisansse fair myself but I would really like to go. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I secretly love going to Renn Faires, and of course by secret I mean not a secret at all! I've had some really good times in the past at Faires, if you're ever in the Maryland area, the Maryland one is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha...the end made me laugh, preciousssssss!! Awesome, love that!! This looks like a lot of fun, I would have enjoyed it. Shame you didn't get your leg, but least you got a mug!! I love it :))) Happy weekend doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. When in doubt, lipstick! This makes me miss the local Renn Faire that shut down a few years ago :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think a Fall Ren Fair makes a lot of sense! I don't like that most festivals are in the middle of the heat and humidity season~! Oh hopefully Wentzville brings you luck this time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh corsets! Yours sounds very fancy! I saw some there but they weren't quite as pretty as yours. And the boning was made out of plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sure was!!! I want to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You so should, Tracy! It was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A rat circus? That sounds awesome! There were no animal circuses here, but there was a (really sad) petting place where you could pet dogs. Seriously, dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must have met some SCA people, but didn't notice? There were so many people just spouting off whatever in their accents-- it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh we are SOOOO going back again. Next year for sure, since the weather forecast for the rest of the shows this year is icky. Ceramics-wise, they definitely gave me a lot of ideas on using stamps and some glaze ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks! I love this mug so much, I tote it around the house wherever I go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You should! You'd have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hahaha! I would love to visit Maryland and its Ren Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know you would have enjoyed it, Kizzy! Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's true! Lipstick is all I need on an icky humid day! So sad that your Ren Fair shut down. Why is that? Not enough visitors?

    ReplyDelete
  27. How did you contain your excitement in getting to touch the rare and ever elusive DOG? I mean they could have given you emus or mini ponies, but they loved you enough to give you DOGS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Must be. I'm not sure what the backstory was.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gotta love the jousting at these Ren Festivals! So cheesy but so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm not sure how we aren't the best of friends, you know. This killed me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. im a bit behind on blog reading.. but that mug is awesome and the lippie looks great! i think the suit of armor glove could be a great dressing room piece. also, having drooled over turkey legs at the iowa state fair for years.. they are honestly a little disappointing! all tendony and stuff.. the ribeye is def better eating, even if by default

    ReplyDelete
  32. The DOG: it has the head of a dog and the body of a dog! WOW! Yeah, and there were like 3 kinds too!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥