Misery loves T-shirts

Katamari tee: Hot Topic
scuba skirt: Forever 21

You guys, I am a miserable, miserable mess. The temps here in St. Louis have been hovering between the mid to high 80s each day, and though I've lived in the Midwest for the past 8 years, I am still not used to the humidity that makes me feel like I am perpetually living in a sauna. My best solution to this dilemma is simple: T-shirts!

Over the years, I've collected quite a few (mostly comics related) tees. I've almost always chosen women's shirts for their slim cut silhouette even though men's tees always seem to have better graphics. Lately, though, I've been gravitating towards looser, boxier shapes, which along with other merits, provide ultimate coverage for weekend food babies. It's a fact. On a recent (and very unexpected) trip to Hot Topic, I manged to snag a couple of men's tees for $11.00. Total. Frealz.

However, the problem with boxy tees is just that-- they're boxy. The easiest way to soften boxiness, I find, is to pair it with something ultra feminine, like skirts. Now ya'llz know that the bodycon mini is my mainstay, but I've longed to try scuba skirts especially since they exude a sort of Morticia Addams feel! With a little bit of sleeve and hem folding, the addition of the skirt and some strappy sandals, my Katamari tee looks less boxy, no?

21 comments:

  1. I think the skirt and shirt combo is totally working! I remember how horrible I found the humidity when I was living in Connecticut. I never got used to it.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great. Come to Scotland, it's sunny but cool with the nice breeze :))) I love when it gets hotter but there is a nice breeze, that is what you need. Love the skirt xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look awesome! The humidity hasn't yet kicked in here in DC, and I'm hoping it holds off for as long as possible, since I hate it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never know all the names of types of clothing! I always learn them when I visit your blog, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uggh, humidity. I grew up in it and hated it too. I'm so glad I live where it's dry! So much easier to dress and feel comfy even though it's hot! You look awesome in that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so right about how to style men's shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not boxy at all, super cute! I know what you mean, though. I make it worse by pairing men's tees with jeans and a hoodie and I look frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always ALWAYS in men's t's. Doing the girly skirt thing definitely softens the look. I do me some serious legging action with mine instead of skirts. And sometimes I throw a button down on top of it and only start buttoning it at the smallest point of my ribcage under my chest. I find it really helps give me that girly shape without sacrificing too much comfort or forcing me into belt-world. My poor husband can't own a shirt exclusively to save his life. Because you know what? You're so right. Men's shirts always have the best graphics! How unfair! I simply can't just lay down and accept that injustice. Even if it means I have to commandeer allllll the man's shirts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes, I even take it a step further into uber-frumpville and substitue yoga pants or sweat pants for the jeans. I don't even know how people resist all the hotness! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good t-shirt and skirt combo! It's so cute and this t-shirt is awesome.
    Also I feel you with the humidity. You should experience humidity in Georgia though! Any time I'm in Illinois in the summer and my relatives complain about a humid day and I step outside I'm like, this is amazing compared to home! It doesn't help that it stays humid at home through mid November though. Ugh. Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The humidity is the #1 thing I HATE about living in the Midwest. I can bear the heat, but not the humidity. It feels like I can't breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the second person to invite me to Scotland for its weather! <3 and Yes, I would LOVE to live there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope it holds off for you too! It's so unbearable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha! Believe me, I barely know clothing names myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. TRUTH! I'd rather be in a dry climate than feel like I am suffocating in hot air!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh stop it! And how can you be thinking of hoodies right now? IT'S SO HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you guys are so hilarious! And now I want to just get in my yoga pants and my biggest, comfiest tee and veg while watching all my superhero movies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They DO have the best graphics-- it's really unfair! I bought B some graphic tees a while back (he will not buy them on his own.) and waited patiently until he shrunk them in the wash, and I was able to justifiably take them for my own use. WIN.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH BOO. It sounds like I would HATE Georgia humidity! I am hoping this year won't be bad. Last summer was icky, but I was able to bear it since it cooled off in the afternoons!

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha, it's freezing here. Well, I guess not freezing. Cold enough I have been sleeping with about 5 blankets one, though.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥