Put a Succulent in it

After 12 weeks of pottery, I am finally beginning to form a more cohesive idea of how my personal aesthetic can be conveyed through ceramics. And because most of the past 12 weeks were spent learning the basics of form and technique, the bulk of the stuff I've made aren't really all that pretty. A couple days back, B and I assembled all the ceramics we'd created and started delegating which ones we were keeping, giving to friends, and throwing out. And I planned to throw out quite a lot.

I promise I'll be writing a longer post on my pottery experience and show you more of my creations soon. Today, I wanted to share a quick project that took all of 20 minutes and allowed me to give life to those ceramics I thought of throwing out. 

These early bowls were either too small to hold anything, had sharp lips, too thick walls, very heavy floors, or the glazing turned out all meh. But I loved their shapes and thought maybe there was a way I could enjoy that without noticing all their flaws. Then it hit me-- it was really as simple as putting a succulent in each one. 
And now I have some pretty succulents looking up at me while I'm working in the kitchen!

23 comments:

  1. They look adorable! I love that succulents are popular right now, because they're such cute cuddly plants. It's a perfect use for your less-loved pieces! Although even these would-be rejects look great to me =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute!! They are perfect for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the pottery stuff you've been producing and sharing here - it's so awesome that you're getting into stuff like that (and also that you're really talented at it....which doesn't surprise me because you're the craftiest gal I know!).

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you at turning your hand to pottery, that must be a lot of fun! My old art teacher use to have a potter wheel in a cupboard but we never got around to having a go on it sadly. Love that you've turned them into little pots for plants, they seem to be perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I lived closer, I would steal these. Seriously, how cute are these? I had a cactus once. I managed to over-water it. I'm not allowed to have plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are amazing doll, so cool :))) Awesome work!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great way to liven up an environments, blooms, succulents, etc. my favourite! Can't wait to hear about your pottery experience, I loved it when I was younger--my aunt used to have a kiln and let us make pieces. :)
    Summer Neutrals

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think these look awesome! I love succulents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome project. I love succulents (who doesn't?) and handcrafted pottery. I can't see any flaws at all and I can't wait to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sonya! I really think they were meant for putting succulents in, especially after looking at them again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are too nice! I am so glad that you are enjoying all the crafty stuffs I get in to! Expect more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sure it! Too bad you never got to take advantage of the wheel. I really miss it, and we'll be definitely doing it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I WISH! I'd give them to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll definitely be blogging about my experiences soon. It was such a lot of fun! I wanna see your pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are too kind! Thanks, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Right? They're just lovable plants! I'll be blogging about and posting more pottery soon, so stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. so freakin cute! love the personality the handmade pots give them. you dont have a problem with curious kitties and plants?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Liz! I only have one kitty who likes to eat plants... And it's usually flowers that he eats so I can never get too crazy with flowers at the market :( He's stayed away from these succulents so far!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm happy you found a way to breathe life (literally) back into your little pots.

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥