Recovering

I am still recovering from the impromptu trip that B and I took last weekend to visit some old friends and our former stomping grounds in Urbana-Champaign, IL. It was a flurry of a trip overflowing with food, gossip, and great company. It was immensely difficult for me to get out of bed on Monday, and it has been a huge challenge to get back into the work mindset this whole week. Thankfully, it's already Friday.

Since I got back to St. Louis, I've been thinking about how different it is living in a city vs a college town, and I was reminded about how much I love all those tree-lined neighborhoods, the pretentious coffee shops flocked by students and faculty, the small local shops, all the used bookstores, and the amazing public radio station C-U boasts. 

I was saddened to see some of my favorite places closed or relocated, especially one of my fave vintage stores, since I was really hoping I'd get my thrifting/vintage fix during the trip. It's been really difficult finding affordable vintage here in St. Louis and even more difficult to find a decent thrift store. 
This is a typical variation on what I wear when I know I'll be running around the office: jeans + a comfy top + statement necklace+ flats. This yellow shirt surprisingly fits me almost perfectly, so I knew I had to nab it even if yellow isn't really a color I wear a lot. Plus-- sailboat patterns!

shirt: Banana Republic
jeans: H&M
sandals: Old Navy
necklace: gifted, forever 21

20 comments:

  1. Love this top, it is sooo cute!! I've had that happen, go back to a place I used to live & it's completely different than how I remember it. I hope you have a great weekend doll x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss living in a college town as well - I just really like the atmosphere. Also, seriously loving this outfit - that blouse is awesome!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shirt! So cute!
    And I get the feeling St. Louis is a hard place to find vintage for sure. I don't see it being much of a hipster type city!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellow looks amazing on you! Banana Republic makes great button down I think.
    It's always sad when you go back and things are different. My hometown is completely different from what I remember growing up. But I guess places need to change just like we do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a super cute outfit! I never used to like yellow, but it's grown on me - a lot of colors have, I think, lol. I guess you get tired of neutrals eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So do you prefer living in the big city or a small college town? I'm definitely not a city gal. I live on the edge of the New Forest and the only way I want to go is deeper in. :)

    I never get away with wearing yellow. It looks gorgeous on you. The closest I get away with is a mustardy yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even after living in Athens, GA for 5 years, I saw so many places close or move. It's sad but I think it's the nature of college towns. My dad went to U of I so I've heard tales of fun times in Urbana-Champaign. I need to visit some day! Glad to hear you had a really fun weekend even though Monday was hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great in yellow! And I love the necklace you're wearing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Kizzy! I hope you have a great weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sarah! I try to be a bit dressier during the workweek, even if this is pretty casual. At least the shirt is kinda business-y right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the atmosphere too! (and miss it!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, you're right! I never thought of it like that, Beth. Oh well :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, thanks, Tracy! I think BR is pretty good with shirts-- I just never tried until now! You're right about change, it's the only thing that we can rely on :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. True! I used to wear only blacks and greys for a while, and now, I crave color... which means neutrals are in the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, I'm not sure! I miss C-U. It's a cute city with lots of awesome places, but there aren't any jobs in there unless you're working in the university. (I mean, there are jobs, but not a lot) I like the feel of a bigger city too, and I think St. Louis is just the right size for me. It's not so huge that it feels overpopulated and dirty, and it's got all the perks of city living. I just really do miss those used bookstores. A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very true. I remember even living in C-U how much it was constantly changing. I guess I was just being nostalgic here for a moment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to take a casual queue from you. This look is great for work. I've been going a little too weekend wear because I've been waking up a bit late. Love the yellow sailboats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think yellow is delightful on you! Combines well with that necklace, too, like tropical Starbursts~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want that shirt so muuuuuuch. But really, why do you look awesome in yellow? No one looks awesome in yellow, but you do. You're not human, are you…?

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥