Hello Books

Because I am always culling my closet, for the fear that I might slip back into my hoarding ways, stuff like this Hello Kitty top is making its way into the blog again after not being worn in... seven months? I've definitely worn it more than that, just more so as a bedtime shirt than anything because it is comfy as a warm biscuit. After seeing these photos, I've decided to relegate this tee back to "bedtime top" status, so no one else can know about my big head Hello Kitty love. 
What else have I been currently loving? Books. Granted, I always love books, but now especially, I am never without one in tow. I just finished reading these two lately and cannot seem to quell my fiction thirst. The Poisonwood Bible  has been on my to-read list for a few years now, but I only managed to pick it up a few weeks ago on our roadtrip to Urbana. It's a heavy and satisfying book-- a lot more work than one who picks it up thinking it would be a light summer read would expect. But I read ceaselessly, unraveling mysteries encased in recurring images, Biblical metaphors, and Lingala.
The Painted Girls was a very quick read for me, very much like brain candy. I was surprised that I got into it very quickly, but it could be because I was taking ballet when I started reading it. I don't usually pick up historical fiction very often, because most of the time, authors take too much liberty with the "real" characters, which doesn't sit well with my academic training. So I was pleased that Buchanan's work wasn't too scandalous or unbelievable. 

What have you been reading?
Hello Kitty top: Forever 21
skirt: Banana Republic
sandals: Marshall's
necklace: gifted, Forever 21

18 comments:

  1. I have the same reaction to a lot of historical fiction - it just induces rage! I should check that book out though - what period is it set in?

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hello Kitty since a child, this top is sweet :) It looks gorgeous on you. Not read this books, will have to check them out. Have a lovely weekend petal xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I think your Hello Kitty love is adorable! It's like my Snoopy love. But I hear ya, most of my Snoopy t-shirt collection I only wear at home with pjs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading light, fluffy stuff, perfect for summer, lol! Painted Girls is on my list. But I read a few books by Ruth Ozeki this year, and if you like Haruki Murakami, she's a good one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that shirt looks really soft and comfy! this is a horrible reason, but i just wish i had more time to read. i love reading and go thru phases of can't put a book down, then months of not getting thru one chapter. i love buying books, tho! i have so many in queue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I need more details on this skirt. Or better glasses. Or a close up picture. Is it actually a maroony or purplish type color with pink stripes? Is this just wishful thinking? Cuz if this color combo truly exists - I need this. I want it. I hate stripes but for that color combination I can make the exception. Oh the hording. I've fallen off the wagon Laura. I have a closet full of stuff that I don't touch 300+ days a year. I don't know how it's ended up like this but it defo has. Do I bite the bullet and toss it all? Or keep holding on to it because truthfully, I'm mostly holding on to quality pieces that I've had for years and truly love. It's just that when I bought these items, I had a much more professional daily life. Now, my life has become super active so I don't wear it all. On the book front - it's just flat out embarrassing. I've been reading the House of Night series. Not one of the best examples of literature I've ever come across. And yet, I keep going! It's a sickness I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too! I grew up with Hello Kitty .:) You have a lovely weekend as well, Kizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Snoopy! I used to be obsessed with Snoopy when I was a kid:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gonna check out Ruth Ozeki for sure. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reaching for more "classics" as well. I just finished an Edith Wharton and some Shirley Jackson. And after my pile of newly acquired books, I'm planning on reading Lolita!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean. Right now, I am RAVENOUS for books! But like you, I ALWAYS buy them even if I'm not reading... so yeah, I have tons in queue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sadly, my dear Rachel, the stripes are white. :( I do like this skirt though because.. maroon! It's like a more subdued red and much more office-wearable. You really shouldn't sweat it about your closet! My closet this year looks so different from what it did last year, and I started by forcing myself to wear a different item each day. That way I could see if 1.that item still fits; 2.It works for work/play/whatever I'm doing; 3.I still like it. I'm still going through a lot of clothing, but I feel like if I take it in small doses, I can end up with a manageable closet. :) So I had to google the "House of Night" series because I had no idea what that was. Oh woman, it's funny you mention vampires and whatnot because I just got Deborah Harkness' Book of Life in the mail yesterday and cannot wait to camp out in my couch to read, read, read this super "trashy" novel. I put that it quotation marks because it's really very un-academic, silly, and super melodramatic. And when I think about it, outside of reading it, I almost want to kill myself for liking it so much. Guilty pleasures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've managed to get through 9 of the House of Night series but I just can't bring myself to pick up the last few. Let me know how the Book of Life goes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that top! And, what's the secret to your makeup always being so perfect?!! Just LOVE it!
    x/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Madison! You are far too nice :) I am sure it's the camera that makes my makeup look "perfect!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm currently reading where'd you go bernadette! it's still early in the story and i can't wait to get to the meaty part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just got through Cee's debut novel, which I really enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day. thanks! ♥